Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

454 tbi int exh crossover block-off

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 89Burben, Apr 12, 2006.

1. 89Burben

89Burben Registered Member

i am putting the cam back into my truck soon and i just ordered the parts and gaskets from summit to put it back together.
    i just got the stuff today and my intake gaskets have the exhaust crossover blocked with a metal plate in the gasket.

its a tbi 454 thats run in the summer and winter.....

should i return and get the ones without the block-off?

thanks

2. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Yep. The crossover is important for cold startup. It helps reduce ring wear

3. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

do both of the gaskets have the cross overs blocked? Do either of the metal plates have a little hole or somthing in it? For the TBI you do need exaust running up into the intake for the EGR valve, It is not as important for cold start up as it used to be, TBI engines do not have the valve on the exause manifoid to force exasue to route through the crossover

4. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

I am running those same gaskets right now in my 454, but I have removed the EGR. I have used the gaskets with the hole in them also and have not seen a difference in the way the engine warms up or anything, but I am in Florida so don't see a lot of cold weather.

Which cam did you go with for a replacement? I broke down yesterday and ordered the Comp XM270HR retro-fit roller cam for mine.

Russ