Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

454 tbi oil pressure sending unit ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5DRAGER, Feb 4, 2003.

1. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

I have a 454 tbi in my 88 crew cab and was wondering where the oil pressure sending unit was located. I know where mine is at but it sure doesn't look like it should be there. At least not mounted the way it is.

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

In my 1992 TBI 454, the oil pressure sender is in the very front of the block, on the drivers side, just above the oil pan rail...That is for a Gen V motor...Gen VI and Gen IV might be different...

Chris

3. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Yep, thats where mine is, but I still don't think its plumbed in right. Maybe I'm wrong, but it looks like a small piece of galvanized pipe coming straight out about 3 inches and then has a 90 degree elbow and then there's a bronze fitting that both the sending units screw into. Is this like yours? I wouldn't think the factory would use pipe would they?

4. fortcollinsram

No, on mine the sender screws straight into the block...are you saying there are TWO senders off the one port out of the block? Yours may have been plumbed to run both the computer sending unit and the gauge sending unit off the same hole in the block...But my sender just screws in, perpendicular to the block, no piping or brass fittings...

Chris

5. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Yep both sending units are there. Where is your other sender at?

6. fortcollinsram

Um, I think that is the only one...My engine is at the machine shop now so I can't tell for sure...but I have the sender and it has a black plastic conector on it that has 3 prongs...maybe one is for the comp., one is for the gauge and one is a ground?!?!I dunno...If yours works and doesn't leak, I wouldn't be to concerned with it...

Chris

7. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Well thats exectlly the problem it does leak and it don't work, ar least right. I took it apart tonight and hopefully stopped most of the leak, except that the gauge sender itself is also leaking. So tomorrow I'm going to get a new one and hopefully fix the leak and the gauge. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I was curious because I'm pretty anal about my daily driver and the PO has done some very stupid things at least electrically, so I'm kinda hesitant on what I find now. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Thanks for the info. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. fortcollinsram

Maybe just get the oil press. sender that has the 3 prongs and then get the appropriate connetor that fits and wire /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Chris

9. captain chaos

captain chaos 1/2 ton status

my 87 454 tbi crew cab, also has the pipe with brass t and 2 sending unit's in it.
    i just replaced the one that run's the gage also, the other one i just asumed ran something with the computer.

dave

10. Bigred86chevy

Bigred86chevy Registered Member

On my '87 K30 the fitting that the sending unit screwed into was cracked therefore causing a leak. When I went to remove it, it broke off in the block and luckily just enough was sticking out to get vice-grips on. It did look like someone just stuck it there and I couldnt belive GM would use such cheap fittings. As for the computer plug in. I just screwed my sending unit right into the block and did away with the plug in and I havent had any codes come up or any problems.

11. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the answer's guys, I can't beleive they would use that set up either. Oh well, off to get a new sender today.

12. Dorothea

Dorothea Newbie

Sender 1992 Chevy 454 - Removal Tool?

Is there a removal tool for the sender on a 1992 Chevy 454? I tried everything Napa and Car Quest has to offer, plus various wrenches, hammer and chisel. That beast is just stuck. Any ideas?

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

What kind of sending unit do you have? 1 or 3 wire?