Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

454+TH350=KABOOM!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by talldogg, Oct 4, 2000.

1. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Well guys, I need some opinions. I picked up my 454 Monday night and it's now at home resting on my engine stand waiting for the transplant. The engine was recently rebuilt and is moderately stock. I plan on running headers, an aluminium intake with spacer, a Quadrajet, and a high voltage HEI. Nothing too fancy, just well proven components. I had planned on running a 700r4 behind it to gain the overdrive, BUT I'm starting to think that even if I beef it up that it will not survive. I currently have a recently (13K mi) rebuilt TH350 in there as we speak. I think I'm going to wait for a TH400 before I run the 454, but my buddy has this kooked up idea of slapping the 454 in there with the TH350 just to get the project started. The truth is I know he just wants to see the big block come alive. I'm hesitant to do it because I have the paper work for the tranny (Aamco life-time warranty) and I know I can sell it and at least get some cash for it. So my question is, could the TH350 last at least until I find the TH400? I know myself and I'm going to want to run that BBC hard, so what should I expect? Thanks for the input![​IMG]

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Hell, you've got a lifetime warranty, explode away! [​IMG]
    If you do blow it up get them to fix it again and then go find your TH400.
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm, carnage [​IMG][​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

3. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Well, I have been trying to blow up the TH350 behind my semi-built 454 (ported, polished, balanced, RV cam, headers, intake,etc.) for about 8 years!!! I now am going to take it out and replace it with a TH400 since I have one laying around with a fresh rebuild. Don't discount the TH350, just don't be stupid with it!! The 350 will last double that of a 700 behind a big block!!

ken

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I say go with the 700R4 or 350.. The Pontiac uys are runnin the 200 4R, rebuilt by Level ten, behind the 400 and 455 engines even built engines that put out over 500+ torque. They are using them on the strip also!
    (the 200 4R is the little brother of the 700R4)

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

5. River

River 1/2 ton status

A good rebuild TH700R4 is just as strong as a TH350 and can handle up till 400HP. I would say go for the TH700R4.
    Look at http://www.700r4.com or http://www.tciauto.com

Greetings from Amsterdam,

River `90 K5, 350, TH700R4, NP241, "33, 3.08, 10 bolt F, 10 Bolt R(GOV-Lock)

6. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

If you don't want an arm and a leg for your turbo 350 I would be interested in buying it if you want to sell it.

Brian

TOO MUCH IS JUST BARELY ENOUGH!!!

7. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Brian,
    The truth is I don't know what I'm going to do. If I use it and destroy it, then your out and so am I. I think I'd be asking $250 for it which I think is fair considering I do have the paperwork from Aamco. The only thing would be the shipping, I don't know if it would be worth it or not. I hope I can figure out what's best before I make the wrong deceision and damage it (I wouldn't sell it if it's damaged). Hopefully I'll get some more feed back tonight so I can make a decision by the weekend.[​IMG]

8. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Stay with the TH350. They are very strong units. I have one behind my Caddy 500 and no problems at all. My brother races a 73 Nova with a built Caddy 500 in it which dyno on a chassic dyno at 821ftlbs of torque at 3000 rpms and this is all running thru a TH350 with a 3000 Stall convertor. Remember that a TH400 takes an extra 30 hp to run compared to a TH350. Just get the max amount of clutchs and good sprags in it.

Donovan

9. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

My buddy has a Pontiac 400 with the stock TH400 behind it.

<font color=red> Hey who put that grenade in there? </font color=red>

10. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

Just because there is a stronger tranny out there doesn't mean the 350 is made from plastic. If you don't drop it in drive and spin tires all the time or hold it to the floor through every shift it will last for a long time. I've had good luck with the 350's the only tranny I've had rebuilt so far was a 700r4 and that's b/c the pan gasket leaked while I drove a 600 mile trip and just burned up b/c it wasn't cooling. Go for the 350 for a while... Drive it if you've got it....

Love, Peace, and Hair Grease...........

11. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Yes, they usually came factory with TH400's, but some guys want overdrive and are going with the 200 4R... I have always heard the 200 was very weak, but when built they are handling the gobs of torque put out by these Pontiacs.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

12. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

My friend has a full race (9 second) 454 powered '69 Camaro running a T350 tranny, and has for 8 years. Never a problem just gotta build them right.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>http:// www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

13. Glenn

Glenn Registered Member

"RUN IT"

14. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

I'm starting to think that I'm going to have to hook it up, at least for the mean time. Any other opinions? I'll keep ya all posted, thanks!

15. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Gosh, don't be scared, stick that '54 in there!!! The 350 will live, as long as you're not stupid with the right pedal!!!!!

ken

16. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Well here's the plan. Since I was going to detail my engine compartment, I figure I'll remove the front clip and detail the firewall. I'm going to paint my rig as well, so I'll get started on prepping the fenders, hood, and inner fenders. I'll paint the core support as well. By the time I'm done with this I'll be slapping in the 454, regardless of what tranny I have at the time. If I haven't gotten something else (TH400, maybe, maybe a beefied 700r4) then I'll just run it with the TH350. I've got a lot work ahead of me, but I know what it's going to look like when I done, so I can't wait.[​IMG]