Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

454 to 350 swap

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by titanic, Mar 2, 2002.

1. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

I have a '94 suburban 2500 that has a weak 454 in it. I want to install a ZZ3 350/350hp small block. I've checked with Howell fuel injection and they can handle reprogramming the computer but is it a direct swap? Motor mounts,fan/shroud?Thanks ahead of time.Steve

2. lt1yj

lt1yj 1/2 ton status

I don't know everthing that's different but I can tell you the parts I've found out so far. I'm going the other way. 350 to 454.

The fan shroud is different, the radiator is different, there is one lead on the wiring harness that has the wrong plug on it. It attaches to the TBI. I'm not sure if it's the TPS or the IAC (can't remember). The exhaust system is larger for the 454 but you should be able to use it on the 350. There is another difference on the wiring harness. The 350 has a vacuum EGR and the 454 has electronic EGR. The accessories look like they are interchaneable but the some of the brackets are different.

If you want to work out a swap, I've got all the parts for a 350 I can swap you for the parts for a 454. Save both of us the hassle of digging through the salvage yards.

3. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. I would like to do the swap thing but I won't be ready to change out my engine until much later in the year-possible not until early 2003. If this time table happens to work great but you probably won't want to wait that long. thanks again. Steve

4. bigd_176

bigd_176 Registered Member

if your still wanting to swap that out get ahold of me i'm wanting to go the other way with my 93 suburban

suburban pics /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

thanks, Derek

5. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Are you going to get rid of your 454?

6. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

not at this time.

7. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

I'll take that 454 off ur hands man. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. 98sub454

98sub454 Registered Member

why not upgrade to the 502 swap engine that GMPP makes for your year truck?

it will be a much cheaper job to do and im sure you will be happy with the power numbers

9. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

because I have a zz4 block ready to go sitting on a engine stand. I guess I'll look for something else to put it in. I called Howell fuel systems and they said all they could reprogram the TBI for was about 325 hp and this is a 355hp/350