Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

454 Transplant

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 78K5395MT, Sep 13, 2002.

1. 78K5395MT

78K5395MT Registered Member

Well, I don't have time, or a motor lift, so I want to know something. How much would it cost me to have a 454 put in my 350SB K5. I may stick with a 350, but I have a 454 in mind I can afford. I was wondering how much welding would have to be done (eg. motor mounts) and what about a 400, same motor mounts as a 350?

2. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

Everything I have asked about this says, I do not have to do much. Motor mounts and tranny adapters should mate up.

I have not actually gotten around to doing it, as I need to buy several parts to get the 454 ina runnable state. (intake and suitable carb, all mounts for alt., steering pump, etc...) I did not check on the year of your truck though, but if the engine is newer than the body, I forsee very few problems. (Again, according to answers to my questions)

3. 78K5395MT

also. . . swaying off topic. . . where, per se, would i post pictures of my truck. . . can't figure out where.

4. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

Ah, well, if you wanted CK5 to host them,. I would suggest paying Steve the $25 or so to become a member. If you plan on any significant purchases in the next year it is highly worth it. If you do not plan said purchases, it is worth it just to keep the site running smoothly. If it beyond your means to pay the fees of a highly respected Orange Named Cool Guy (or Gal), such as yours truly (might I also add that I have had 9 beers in the last 3 hours), post them on Yahoo, or any of the many free picture posting sites (of which I can think of none due to the previously mentioned 9...er...make that 10...beers) available on the web and simply post a link, here, to them. Though I strongly suggest the former, that being be a paid member of CK5.

Strongly previewed and highly edited by MaxCrack before posting, because I hate reading f***ed up posts with typos and bad grammer even though I am irresponsibly drunk (but not driving).

5. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

The 454 engine swaps in as if it were a 350. The only things to watch out are the exhaust routing and to use the 350 engine mounts and voila!

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I just did this swap about two weeks ago. Everything bolts right in. I did have to get an adapter to put the oil sending unit back on. The small block one connects behind the distributor and the big block one connects on the drivers side above the oil filter. The hole was bigger but the local parts store had an adapter. The power steering pump was an older shape and the high pressure hose would not bolt into it. You can just change out the high pressure fittings between the two and it works good. Also the exaust will not work. Muffler shop for that one. If you can afford this change, do it.

7. 78K5395MT