Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

454 vs. 383 stroker

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by trouble1, Oct 7, 2002.

1. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

OK, for all how have not read my post, I have a 305 /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif that is trying to make me a very young grey headed man...I've finally had it...Its time to let Visa take control of the situation. I've always wanted a 454 built for my 86 K-5, but since I've been on here, I see lots of ya'll goin with the 383 stroker. What are the pro's and cons of each. I'm running a 86 with 10 bolts, 3.73's 700R4, NP208. I like to do weekend playing, but it's also my ride to work and the grocery store. Thanks for the imput. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

How about a 379? It won't even need a carb then /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Or spark plugs for that matter /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

(Sorry, can't help it - I like my diesel /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif)

3. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

A 454 will weigh A LOT more! A few hundred pounds.
    Go for a 383 with a mini-blower like my friend John did to his Chevy S-10 Blazer.

4. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

Ahh yes, a 305. Been there. Nice thing is they are real easy on the driveline (except maybe the clutch when you MUST have some power...). Some info on the motors I have experience with and then my recommendations:

First of all, let me say I don't own a 383, but a good friend of mine does, as well as my Dad. My Dad's has been a good motor for him, its a 10:1 compression (REQUIRES premium, good premium) with an edelbrock 750CFM carb, performer intake, and ported factory heads. Not sure on the casting. But it also has thorley tri-y headers and duals. It's a work truck and tows and hauls a lot of stuff. It's got enough power to do the work, and gets decent mileage (somewhere around 14, up to 17 on the highway). I've never wheeled it, just hauled his camp trailer and driven it unloaded.

My friends 383 is totaly different, its a high revver, hardly any power before 2500 RPM (spends most of its time between 3500 and the rev limiter). But its in his sand rig, and it gets around pretty darn good. Not really a daily driver.

Currently I have a 454 (from a motorhome) thats bone stock except a K&N and duals (no headers, at least not for a month or so). It's in my K30, which is heavier than my Dads 3/4 ton. Its equipped with a Q-Jet.

Hands down, the 454 has more power. You stomp on it and wheels start spinning unless you are on perfectly clean, dry pavement. This is with a detroit out back as well. The power has really allowed me to wheel some pretty tough stuff. I have no plans of finding a small block, just some mods to get some mileage from the beast. Currently it's about 8-10MPG, as long as I show a little restraint. Keep in mind this is a stock 454 compared to some really unstock 383's. It's faster than my Dad's, not sure about my friends though. This is in a heavier (D60 front, cast iron transfer case, and one ton frame) truck as well. Needless to say, I'm now a big block fan.

Lots of people say big blocks are too heavy. Most numbers I've seen show the big block being roughly 200 pounds heavier than the small block. This is really pretty insignificant in a full size 6000 pound truck. The only other knock against them (major anyway) is poor milage. Yeah, no argument, 8-10 isn't as much as a small block, but it's tolerable for me.

That being said, and looking at the powertrain of your rig, I'd say go with a 383. The blazer is lighter than a K30, which will help. You already have a small block, so keeping a small block won't require any extra bracketry or exhaust work. I'm not worried when I stomp on the gas because of the TH400 and big axles (and relativly small tires), but if I had a 700 and 10 bolts I'd be leery of the throttle. I'd bet you could torch a 700R4 with 3.73's and 33's to 35's pretty quick. Depending on how much you drive, 5 (or more) MPG could add up to a lot of money. Oh yeah, usually a decently built 383 will cheaper than a similarly built 454. I was going to go with a 383 when I was building my K10, but I ran across my K30 and couldn't pass it up.

5. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I bet my 305 can beat yer 305 LOL
    If I had a Visa and a 454 and a 350 both on engine stands with a $2500 budget.
    The 350 would be pulling mule duty till the 454 was done.
    If all ya have to work with is a 350 then a 383 is the way to go.
    I'm cursed I have 2 BBC's and the 305 to choose from.
    What to do what to do. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

I've got a 400 you can rebuild.
    Where in SteamBoat are you? We've made your town our vacation stop from now on! I'd love to move up there. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I have a TH350, NP205, 1/2T D44, &12 bolt. My gear ratio is 3:73. I will be putting in my 454 within a few months. I have owned a 383 and a 396 in the past. Big block all the way! You get gobs of low end torque stock, and with the types of usage we put ours through, a stock 454 is plenty. Also AFA the weight this goes...a 454 is about 150-200 lbs. heavier. This is mostly because of the cast iron heads. If you have the $$ to spring for aluminum heads, then your only looking at 100 lbs heavier, at the most. If you're not a throttle jockey, then your rig will handle it just fine. Also, if you plan on running bigger meats w/out changing the gears anytime soon, the 454 has all the grunt you'll need to get them turning in a hurry. You have to make up your mind on what works for you. Right now I have a 300 h.p. 350, but as soon as the 454 is done, it's going in.

Do some research, evaluate the way you drive, your ultimate goals for the rig, and see where a BB plays into all that. If you plan on going 1 ton anyway, I'd say do the 454 now. If not then maybe a 383 is the way to go. The reason I say maybe is because a 383 can tear up a 1/2 ton truck just as fast as a 454. It all depends on how you drive it.

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If you go with a 454, it will set you on a course of continuous drivetrain upgrades. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif You'll need stronger axles and a beefier transmission very soon, if you use the loud pedal much at all. Even a stock 454 makes more torque than they can stand for very long. So make sure you have the budget to deal with all that goes with using a big block. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

A 383 (or even a 406, if you rebuilt the 400 that Mreetz has) will have considerably more torque than your 305, but isn't as likely to shred the drivetrain as a 454 is. The nice thing about doing a small block swap is that it is a direct bolt in. All of your current engine accessories will bolt right into place. If you already have an aftermarket intake, it will bolt on as well. It's quick and fairly painless to do such a swap.

A 454 shares nothing with a small block, other than the GM logo. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif All of the engine parts are different, and cost a lot more than similar parts for a small block. All of the brackets that hold the engine accessories are different, and usually won't come with the engine. The exhaust system also has to change, and you'll need a bigger radiator. But you will have plenty of torque on tap. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I don't want to discourage you from going with the 454, but just make sure that you're ready to spend the time and money to do the swap. It isn't as easy or as cheap as going with a small block.

9. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

I would go with the 383. I run a 383 Multi-Port Injected Vortec Stroker and I love it. A 454 is a serious motor that will require serious drivetrian to back it up. The availibility and options for both motors are endless. My 383 will toast the 37's on dry pavement /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I haven't had a problem with the motor ever since its been dropped in last July. There is nothing like the lowend TQ of a stroker. Though some people here dont think that a 383 is that powerfull, there is a guy here in town that runs a 383 in a S-10 and will rip the shaft right off his tranny when he mashes the skinny pedal /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

10. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah, consider MPG, I think ThatK30Guy got about 4-8 MPG in his Mild-built 454. The 383 I'm running is getting 14-15MPG in the city

11. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I'd really like to build up a bbc also.
    But since I have a sbc I will instead eventually go on the 383 road.
    The brackets, rad, just EVERYTHING is different. Unless you have a bbc truck as a donor, I don't think it is worth it.
    -- Mike

12. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

"14-15 MPG." /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif In your dreams, you can't keep your foot off the floor to get that kind of MPG. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

Decsions, decisions....Evryone raises a good point about staying with a short block. I'm downtown Steamboat...6th & Lincoln. I too wanted to move here for years, after my divorce, I did /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. How much u want for your 400???might be a good solution....it sounds like all my stuff I've been putting in the 305 over the years will work with it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Build a 383 you will be happy with it!!! I have had several friends go to the 383 after having a BB. They liked
    the 383 better. Be careful which cam you pick or you will
    kill all of the low end. Pick one that pulls hard up to 4000

My $.02 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

15. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

OUCH! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Derf, yeah I guess your right, kinda hard not to toast some high school punks in thier Hondas at every light /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

BEWARE!!!! What year truck do you have? If it is POST 1985, and you use a PRE-1986 SBC, you WILL have a lot of problems, especially with stock exhaust manifolds, AC brackets, etc... I just rebuilt a 1977 Chevy Corvette 350 with heads from the same age, and had more troubles than I hoped for swapping it into my 1986, K5.
    EVEN if you use most of your original 305 accessories...
    Have fun.
    Ed

17. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

My 96 Dodge Ram with a FI 360 sees 12 mpg maybe.
    I seriously doubt anyone here with our old trucks and with tires larger than 30" sees 15mpg.
    -- Mike

18. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

19. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

my 76 was first a 350, then a 305 when 350 puked(was a sad day!!) I had a 400 I was putting together and had a B@M streetcharger for it. But i wanted to run fuel injection. Now I have the 454 and won't go back!! I bought a complete truck to make sure I got all the brackets I needed. Most of us are upgrading axels anyways. but the BBC makes more RELIABLE torque at lower rpms than most strokers are set up for. I have always run BBC in my racecars and there is no replacment for displacement!! but your 700r4 will puke!!

20. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

First off, a 700r4 will puke with ANY motor larger than a 305!! Just ask me, I puked 6 of them in the wife's bone stock 350'd '90 Suburban before getting disgusted enough with it that I replaced it with a 400 trans. Also, the BBC is about 110 pounds heavier than a SBC. Go with an aluminum intake and headers and you decrease that 110 pounds even further. It really is not an issue. There is nothing better than lots of cubic inches...except for maybe cubic yards! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyways, I wouldn't own anything with less than 400 cubes, especially not a 5,000 pound+ GM 4x4. Heck, all three of my Jeep CJs have motors in them larger than 400 cubes!!! And yes, OPEC loves me!!! /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif