Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

454 vs. 460

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87BrnRsd, Oct 3, 2005.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I have a guy on another forum trying to tell me that ALL ford smallblock heads are better than ANY chevy heads. I dont know really too much about ford heads in general, but I do realize that this is a very broad statement, and wasnt really backed with facts. He also said that the ford 460 was a much beefier motor than the 454. He said "the ford 460 is 4x stronger everywhere than the 454." "The 460 has a crank that's twice the size, rods that dwarf the 454's, and a block itself that is much beefier." Thats exactly what he said. Im not trying to get into a pissing match with this guy, but he has made some pretty broad (stupid) statements. If ford has better heads and better big block, why dosent everyone run them?
    -Harrison

2. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

nuff said :D

3. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

The Ford 460 is better in one respect that I know of. Compared to a standard Mark IV block, a 460 block can be stroked to well over 500+ cubic inches before you need to start grinding the bottoms of the cylinder bores and oil pan rails for rod and counterweight clearance, while if I'm not mistaken, you have to start doing that immediately as soon you start trying to push a 454 beyond 468 cubes with a longer stroke beyond 4.00-inches. That much I do know about 460's advantages over the 454.

4. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Heres a way to look at it... How many ford motors have you seen swaped into a Chevrolet? now how many Chevrolet motors have you seen swaped into a ford :wink1:

5. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Why did Ford change their entire gas engine line up :whistle: :thinking:

6. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire Premium Member

Well, I can say from experience (I own a 454 and a 460), that both motors are about the same. The 460 is a great design, based on the 429 and a whole lot improved over the 390/428 design with the intake that is part of the cylinder head. As far as a comparison, I'd say they're about the same as far as ease of maintenenace, power, fuel economy. I do know that the Chevy parts are cheaper, but not by a whole lot.

Trucks.JPG

7. Inu-Hanyou1776

They did because the designs of the 302, 351, and 460 were getting really, really aged and it was getting harder and harder for Ford to get those engines to comply with ever-tightening federal and California emissions standards, that's why. Also, because the new Triton-series OHC engines are built with all metric parts, those engines are less expensive to build now too. Those same reasons were also the reasons why GM finally completely redesigned the small-block Chevy too.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2005
  8. Inu-Hanyou1776

An additional note.

Also, it should be worth noting that to create the Triton series engines, all Ford did was take the design of the exotic, very limited production 429 SOHC big-block from the 60's and modernize it, downsize it, and convert all the dimensions over to metric! And slap on an additional two cylinders in the case of the 6.8L V-10!

9. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Probably for the same reason GM and Dodge did.......................

10. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I've seen the two sitting next to each other at a motor shop. The 460 is much larger than the 454...but there's a downside to that. Weight. The 460 is a hog compared to a BBC, and exactly as said, if it's so much better, why doesn't everyone run them? Simple fact is the BBC can put out the same power and you don't hear of horrible failures because it's smaller than the Ford. I'll stick to the lighter, cheaper, easier to build BBC.

11. crazyhole812

crazyhole812 1/2 ton status

Fords Suck! Enough said

12. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

13. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status

14. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

friend in auto scool saw a built 454 with 5k in parts over heat the old dyno that went to 800 hp. then other kid did a 460 turd and put over 7k in parts in it. ran on dyno and fell on its face at 450hp. all work was free as it was school required to do motor wether shop or your own. so parts money was all good stuff.

454 went in to 67-69 camero and with 250 shot of nitrus and one day he was showing off and blew the top of the rear axle completly off as the pinon walked up the ring gear.

15. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

wow, I bet that was something to watch :eek1:

16. sweetk30

i never saw it but friend did and it would just fly. street car and strip.

17. Inu-Hanyou1776

You're not serious are you? That BBC was more than the dyno could handle? :D Sounds good! As for the axle story: :yikes:!

18. sweetk30

old state run school with some old tools and equipment. what do you think. but even if not true it still whipped the he!! out of the turd 460:D

19. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Inu-
    seems like you know alot of ford motors so can you tell me why fords run of the mill V8 is only a 5.4? we have 3/4 tons at work with 4.10 gears and they are way gutless...I know its the fact my company is to cheap to spring for V10s or Powerstrokes, I dont know why all the old trucks have 460s.

Anyway just curious about the 5.4

20. Big89Burban

Big89Burban 1/2 ton status

I know its not much of a 454 vs. 460 comparison, but take the ls1. If you do a good cam/headers you can do well over 400whp. Then you take the 03+ cobra (only ford that can compare and still be moderately in the same dollar range) its supercharged, 4 valve/cyl, dohc. Shall I go on? All that just to hang & still get stomped by most bolt-on ls1 guys that have pushrods, in the block cam. & 2 valve/cyl??? :haha:

You cant run away from the facts... Ford has never been "big power" guys (not to say chevy is) but most years of the Rustangs were P.O.S. The mustang guys is what all the ricers honda guys like to pick on. Even look back in what 93? The first year of the acura GSR. It ran 15's in the 1/4 SAME AS THE 5.0 P.O.S. Your talking 1.7 liter vs. 5.0 liter with similar weights to each car! :haha:

I'm not what you would call a ford "hater" but its just so much fun :woot: