Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

454???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 74k5inVA, Dec 13, 2001.

1. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

I am also wondering what size engine to put into my 74k5. right now it has the original 350 in it. it has really poor acceleration, and cant go over 50 on the hw. i know this is not all the engines fault, but what do you think of putting in a 454

2. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Either go with the 454 or the cheaper and still powerful 383! The 383 would be nicer on your drivetrain and it weighs less also.

<font color=green>[​IMG]1977 K5 GETTIN IT AWN[​IMG]</font color=green>
    BUILT NOT BOUGHT

3. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

wheree could i look for a decent 454 or 383 to drop in. i am short on time so a rebuild is out of the question, i need one that i can drop in in a day or two (a weekend job)

4. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

you might check some proshops or something but i think most crates are gonna take at least a week to come in and i havent run across any place that keeps them in stock youd probably be able to have yours rebuilt in that timeframe

Rusting away in VA
    Hey it almost runs!

5. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I'd say go with the 454. Once you get a try of power, you'll want more. A 383 is a 350 maxed out, while the 454 has plenty of room for improvement. I'm almost finished swapping mine in. The only problem I see is that this is probably not a weekend install. You have to be sure to have all the brackets and small parts to make it quickly.

Whatever your decision, I wish you good luck.

<font color=purple>//////
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blazer79.freeyellow.com>blazer79.freeyellow.com</a></font color=purple><font color=black>
    Soon a 454 K5!!</font color=black>
    [​IMG]