Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Do you think a basicly stock 454 is a good choice ?? Once I get the 454 part of me wants to build a mega monster, but another part of me thinks a stock 454 will be more then pleanty for no more then I'll use ut for. I will do a rebuild on it I do want to raise the compression to appoximently 9.5 to 1. , a Comp Cams X-tream 4X4 cam, a good intake and carb, and TRI-Y's. But still, part of me wants too go full out, but I really think that basicly stock (Mods I listed) might be better (More reliable). I'm just thinking out load, hell, I haven't even got the 454 yet.

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Ill warn you now, once you start, it will become a case of might as wells. Hell I started out was gonna do a basically stock 454 rebuild. Now look where Im at! BANKRUPT lol. In all seriousness with 9.5:1 compression (mines 9.7) you will probably end up need 2.19/1.88 valves to let it breathe, and it will snowball. What induction are you planning? Carb, FI, blower, turbo /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. It all really depends on how much $$$ you have. BB parts are about 1.5 to 2 times as much as SB parts. What is this going in and how are you going to use it?

3. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I agree with K20 - becareful it is adictive !!!!
    I was satisfied with a nice SBC until 1992 when I drove NVERENUF's truck with a 454 w/049's and a cam that spec'd 226 @ .050 / .533 / ground on a 108 and I was RUINED for life ! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif I was amazed at how much "balls" that motor had and had no idea that we could get in the slop & goo in high range and get even more tire speed .SBC's have trouble doing high range mud slinging but a healthy BBC is all about it !
    Since than it was like doing crack ( I guess ) - I could not stop at just a nice BBC . I kept on going for more power and went to a aftermarket roller set up and there was no way to get enough power after that .
    It is addictive and watch out for std. issues K-30 running gear with a real healthy BBC - it does not hold up for long..... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Anyway - I vote for the BBC but don't limit yourself to a stock motor - there is too much power tobe had for a little more investment . Good luck , Tom

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Ill warn you now, once you start, it will become a case of might as wells. Hell I started out was gonna do a basically stock 454 rebuild. Now look where Im at! BANKRUPT lol. In all seriousness with 9.5:1 compression (mines 9.7) you will probably end up need 2.19/1.88 valves to let it breathe, and it will snowball. What induction are you planning? Carb, FI, blower, turbo /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. It all really depends on how much $$$ you have. BB parts are about 1.5 to 2 times as much as SB parts. What is this going in and how are you going to use it?

[/ QUOTE ] First of all, this will be built over a fairly long amount of time. Here's the planed uses. It must be able to run on pump gas (91 oct.) Will be used for muddy trails, light rock crawling (I'm not hard core like alot of y'all) and on the roads and interstate. (Will be driving to and from the trails) Just want some low end grunt for when I'm off in the hills, might need to pull a downed tree out of the way. Like to play in the mud every now and then. Intake, thinking just a duel plain with a carb. Trying too keep the truck pretty basic.

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would say with a good cam, intake, carb and headers...you would be happy if you aren't overly power hungary. YOu will get into a lot of money as soon as you start putting on aluminum heads, forged rods&crank. Find a set of iron heads like the LS6 heads or something comparable that would flow better and you probably would be perfectly happy with your motor. My 406 is basically built like what you're talking about doing to your motor and I am pretty happy with my power output for the money invested. I am thinking about adding AFR heads,sneaky pete nitrous kit, multi port injection along with 1.6roller rockers but for what? another 80 to 90HP or 130 or 140 with nitrous flowing but at a cost of close to 4,000 bucks extra over my existing investment. That would bring me to around 7 thousand invested in my motor or leave it the way it is, add headers and have only 3 thousand invested and still have decent power output. You have to decide how much you wan't to spend because soon as you pass up the bolt on stuff like the usuall cam, intake, carb, compression, headers... those extra wanted ponies start getting VERY pricy. For me I have probably 100 extra HP over a stock 400 and that extra probably cost me about $600 in performance parts which comes out to about $6 per/HP over a stock 400. If I spent that 4K for another extra 100HP...it will cost me about $40 per/HP to add on. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

nix the LS6 heads, if you want torque only get the small peanut port heads but no any power above 4k. If you want a full powerband get large oval port, 049 or 781 casting numbers. The LS6 heads are rectangle port meant for high rpm racing. Roller everything is nice, it is the route i went, but it gets expensive fast. If you go w/ the 049 or 781 (my recomendation, i have 049) go ahead and get 2.19/1.88 valves put in to fully maximize those heads. www.flatlanderracing.com is where I got my crank, rods, and pistons. They will beat any price on the pistons. You said you wanted about 9.5:1 compression, These are the pistons I chose and after decking the block, makin sure heads were flat, I ended up w/ a 9.7 comp ratio. 049's are 122cc if i remember right, but deck em down a bit and you'll have ur compression ratio right where u want it. I went with the Scat H beam rods, but for all you seem to be wanting you could get the I beam (about $200 less).

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I am doing this right now.
    My plan for my 454 is a basic mild build up with lowend/towing in mind. I have the 781 heads and will use an RV/Towing type cam with matching vavletrain. I am shooting for 9:1 9:3 compression range.
    AND
    Edelbrock Pro-Flo MPFI system /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I love saying that.
    Total cost by the time I am done with swapping from SBC to BBC in my First Gen will be around 4K maby a bit more?
    BUTT
    This will be the last engine I will ever need for my K5 so i am building it the way I want it.
    Continuous Duty
    Low End Torque
    Good Throttle responce
    Excellent off road manners..MPFI instead of Carb
    A little bit of Coolness factor
    and to last at least my lifetime!
    That isn't too much to ask from a well built 454...is it?
    hehehehe
    Good Luck

8. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    nix the LS6 heads, if you want torque only get the small peanut port heads but no any power above 4k. If you want a full powerband get large oval port, 049 or 781 casting numbers. The LS6 heads are rectangle port meant for high rpm racing. Roller everything is nice, it is the route i went, but it gets expensive fast. If you go w/ the 049 or 781

[/ QUOTE ]
    I agree, The rectangle ports are good if your spinning high RPM, but no good for low RPM torque. The glory of running a big block vs small block is you don't have to go nuts and build some crazy motor just to get the torque you need. a stock/mild 454rebuilt for under 2,000$ will have more reliable torque/hp than some 3,000$ small block.
    cam, yes yes yes, comp cams personal fav. Intake good carb. If you want more "crazy stuff" look at hydrolic rollor cams. Comp cams make some nice ones in the 4x4 xtreme's. Not hard to swap into BB. I got everything for mine for under 1,000. Thats cam,lifters,springs, retainers, locks, T-chain, ditributer gear, pushrods, and new guide plates.It is reliable power gains. Hey, OEM is all rollor now. I do carry extra pusrods and an extra rocker in the truck.

9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Sorry to hi-jack (but may useful to the posters build): When swapping in a hydraulic roller into 60's-early 70's BBC, is there any machining that has to be done to the block?

10. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

only thing special you will need is a roller cam button to keep the cam from walking out of the block, alot of the nice timin chain covers have one built in, cloyes cover i have is built in

11. bablazer73

I have never had a problem with Small blocks. I have had a few big blocks were the lifters, Because they are taller, scrub agianst the casting in the lifter valley, a little casting cleaning and your good to go.

12. bablazer73

You have to make sure you change the distributer gear! rollor cams are made from different material. The stock iron gear will chew the cam up. Bronze distributer gear 40.00

13. dustinellis

dustinellis Registered Member

ROLLER IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO ,IM RUNNIN A 308 DUR. .655 LIFT CONP CAM,DART IRON EAGLES ON MY 468 AND LOVE IT. IF YOUR ON THE STREET ALOT I DONT RECOMEND IT.BUT GO ROLLER IF YOU REV LIKE ME YOU WILL EAT UP CAMS ALOT IF YOU DONT. [​IMG]

14. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Am I seeing things or is there a line there feeding that motor a little squeeze? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

15. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Why not go mildly modified? Regardless though... the more power you make the more stuff you break. I also have to say if you can find a 509 casting 400 motor then I would go that route in a heartbeat. Work a set of vortecs and run a tpi setup on it... you would have a pretty torquey beast and cheap port fuel injection. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Although you can build up a mild BBC with more power and a carb for less. All a personally preference.

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm seeing a fuel line into a fuel pressure regulator, duel outlets going to a (Looks like) a Holley 4150 possibly.

17. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

**hijack**

Holy sheeeiiiitt....whats up Mikey!! where the hell have you been?!?! I was just looking through some old posts the other day and was wondering how you had been and where you had disappeared too! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Glad to see you are still around! Hope things are going well for you! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

**end hijack**

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Me too! Glad to see him back!! I thought he was done!

19. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Hey folks... I lurk around some when i get time, but this place is huge now, plus need to be a member to go to most of the forums which sucks on my end. I run a small local car enthusiast site and have been busy getting my drag car finished up. Finally quit mechanic work and hit school full time this year and will be graduated from college in less then a year with my 4yr. Been getting flack from my buddies to get another blazer... so had to come get a little fix LOL.

20. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

agreed, sure isnt like it used to be around here back in the day when everyone knew everyone.

Good luck with school bro and yeah, get another blazer!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif