Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

454BBC in a 4wd Suburban? Did chevy make?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 83ZZ502_Jimmy, Feb 7, 2002.

1. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have been looking at autotrader.com. I am in the market for a 4x4 3/4 ton Sub.. I wanted a factory 454, but searched the entire country and came up with nothing. Only 2WD BB 454. Of course there are a couple swapped in's for sale.

***I should clarify, a 73-91 suburban. I know that in 92 and up it was an option for sure.***

Thanks,
    John

<font color=blue>"When all else fails, read the instructions, or get a bigger hammer"</font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by 83ZZ4_Jimmy on 02/07/02 04:16 PM.</FONT></P>

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I know they came with one, my friend's dad has one.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Yep. Saw quite a few recently in the Portland Truck Trader.............<font color=blue> ONE TON</font color=blue> <font color=green>TPI'd</font color=green><font color=red> BEAST<font color=red>[/b]

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I'm pretty sure that the 454 wasn't available with 4WD until the new body style came out in '92 or so. [​IMG] For many years it was a 2WD-only option. It may have been available in the 70's in 4WD versions, but I'm not sure...

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

6. HarryH3

R was a 2WD. The V series were 4WD.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>

7. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

My friend had an '85 Burb SS. Don't ask me, but it had a 1 ton drivetrain just like the K30 and was 4WD. That thing was a tank. It might have been an option or something out of the factory. You know, like if you were going to spend so much money they would do anything for you. It was definately a badass ride!

Pedal mashed and KICK'N ASS!
    WFO! Wide [censored]'n OPEN!

8. HarryH3

Since GM didn't make a a Suburban SS, and never put Dana 60's in the front of Suburbans, someone created that little toy at home. [​IMG]

I've got a '90 1/2-ton Suburban that will soon have a 454 and 3/4-ton axles. It will all look totally factory when I'm done, but it won't match any GM build sheet for that year. [​IMG]

9. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

chevy did not have any BBC options in the 4x4 line. ( perhaps K30??) they kinda decided that the extra 500 pounds of engine would stretch the frame, since it didn't have the giant cross member under it like in the 2wd models. the only 4x4 suburbans with 454's, would be:

1. Home brews,
    2. super factory single model runs, costing a whole pantload.
    3. Starcraft/coachland/etc conversions.

I will soon* have a 454 in my K20, as well as a doubler, a D60, and all those goodies, and when I finish, it'll look pretty much stock, except for the lift, the spare shifter sticks, and if I get my way, the blower sticking out of the hood.

-Rich
    *(relatively soon, compared to the age of the vehicle... probably 2 years off still)

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue>

10. HarryH3

This is true up until the IFS Suburbans became available. The IFS Subs were available with 454's and 4WD from the factory (at last). But I'm not sure exactly what year they finally started installing the 454 with 4WD.

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Probably another reason why they weren't available in the "light" trucks...with a 454 in his K20, the e-brake doesn't work with the nose pointed downhill parked on a steep grade...well, it works, but the weight of the truck overcomes the grip of the tires, and it slides.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?