Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

455 Olds Rocket into a '79 K10?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kennyw, Apr 6, 2004.

1. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

455 Olds Rocket into a \'79 K10?

Looks like I'm trading my way into a healthy 455 Olds Rocket motor and thinking about using it in my '79 K20 to replace the tired 350. I know there are some adapter plates available cheap for the bellhousing bolt pattern but what about the flywheel? Are they internally or externally balanced on the 455? Anyone know about motor mounts?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: 455 Olds Rocket into a \'79 K10?

Easiest would be to find a 5.7 diesel truck and steal the motor mounts out of it.

Don't get all wrapped up in the "rocket" moniker, it *means* nothing.

3. kennyw

[ QUOTE ]
    Don't get all wrapped up in the "rocket" moniker, it *means* nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I under stand that but to some collectors it can mean a pile of cash /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

How can it mean more cash? A collector will know that there is nothing special about a "Rocket" motor, except it was made back in the day, (and just like anything else, to the person that needs a certain casting number or year, it's valuable, thats about it) just like a turbo-fire chev or whatever. Nothing special, just a marketing name.

Only physical difference between the "newer" and "older" Olds motors are the heads, and those are easily changed.

Anything Olds after about '72 is pretty low-performance, and even if it is pre-72, it's not any more valuable than any other Olds 455 unless it has rare heads on it.

5. kennyw

There are some "collectors" that would pay more for certain items, just like you said if it has the right casting #'s and they are trying to put together a #'s matching, year specific car. I dont know if I have anything that is more valuable to anyone or not, just know I have a healthy big block that came out of a friends truck. So I know it is a good motor and would do much better than the tired 350 in it now. I think I have $100-150 into what I traded for the motor so I figured it was a good deal for me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif