Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

455 Olds

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AkMudr, Jan 28, 2005.

1. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Ive got a chance at a mild 455 Olds to put into my truck. Ive heard some people say the bellhousing is the same bolt pattern as a SBC, some say different. Same thing on the motor mounts as well.

Most folks say a 455 will drop right in place of a SB 350.

Anyone here done this swap?

Post up what you know!!!

2. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

never done the swap, but i know for aure it has a bop bellhousing, not a chevy pattern, so it will not bolt to your tranny, i don't believe the engine mounts are the same, but i will not swear on that

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'll definitely second the BOP bellhousing, and no, the engine mounts are not the same. Any car chassis that used an Olds motor (trucks would be the same) and a SBC use different mounts. It's the position that changes, not just the mount itself.

The confusion probably comes from the very first Chev Diesel trucks, which used the 5.7L SBO, which is identical to all gas SBO externally, so a direct swap in that case. GM may have kept the mount "holes" in the trucks for an Olds motor, but that was for waht, '79-81 only? They *probably* removed the additional mounting holes shortly thereafter.

4. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

Yeah he said it best. ;)

5. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

The block I planned on using was pulled outta my ole mans '69 suburban, factory engine xmember, different mounts but it had the original th350/205 in it with no adapter. And yeh I'm sure its a 455

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

need a duel bell tranny or bop tranny. and custom exaust, plus rad, all acssesorys. bolt tranny to block and set on frame member and mark then remove and drill and bolt or just weld them down to he member. on scale of 1-5 about a 3 to do.

7. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

You can get a BOP/GM adapter fro the tranny, not sure how durable it is htough

Try Jegs

8. dyeager535

Thats the only way one got into a Chev/GMC truck unless it was an original diesel.

I can't recall ANYTHING besides that Olds diesel and all Chev engines being installed in the trucks, regardless of year.

I guarantee, talk to someone that has put a SBC in an Olds Cutlass. They don't just bolt in.

9. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

My crazy old neighbor told me you can bolt a sm465 to an olds 455 if you get the engine and bellhousing out of a 442. :dunno: He's put olds and caddy motors in front of truck transmissions for years but I can never get a straight answer out of him how he did it seemingly so easily.

10. dyeager535

I had looked into this awhile back.

The 442's would have used a Muncie, and IIRC, the input bearing is tiny compared to the 465 input bearing. You'd have to hog the heck out of the bellhousing.

I'm not even sure that the bolt pattern bellhousing to the trans is the same.

Apparently there were 465's mated to the Olds diesels in trucks, I've NEVER seen one though. I wouldn't go buying a car bellhousing without being able to hold a truck one up next to it.

11. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

I don't mean to hijack, but I've always heard that the olds 455's are junk compared to the other big blocks. I've never dealt with one, but everything I've always read says the same. Stay away from the olds 455.

I'd say look for a chevy 454. It will bolt in. Or a lot of guys do Caddy swaps. Buick is the best 455, but good luck finding a bell housing for less than $300. Big block Buicks don't use the standard BOP bell housing bolt pattern. And I don't know anything about the pontiac's 455.

But, good luck with whatever you go for!

12. k5gypsy

k5gypsy Registered Member

olds motors....

Ahhh, a thread where I don't feel like the ignorant one! :D I read so much on here, and learn so much, but I always feel behind the curve on the blazer and 4x4ing, lol. My background is more in body work and drag cars until I got my blazer. Now I'm as stuck as most of the rest of you.

I'm rather partial TO the olds motors, so I'll offer a counterpoint... I have two 455's bored and ready to build, one for the camaro, one for the blazer. I've messed with these beasts for going on 20 years...

Like most motors, the olds have their quirks. Fix a few flaws, and they are rock solid.

The flaws...

Expensive to build... Parts are limited. Out there, but you pay for them from Mondello, Dick Miller, and a few others. Cheaper than building a caddy motor part for part, but much more expensive than a sbc or even bbc.

Bad stock bottom end oiling... Cross drill and chamfer crank, oil restrict mains 2,3,4 even on hydraulic lifter motors, good pump, deep pan, crank scraper, and watch the tolerences when building. Ford 460 (cough cough) neoprene rear seal works great as a replacement for the rope thingy.

Fixed geometry rocker design.... No big deal, most folks change their motors to roller rockers with guideplates anyways...

Limited to low rpm, but with all that torque, who cares....

The real key to building these motors, like most others, are oiling, balancing, and tolorences.

Other thoughts...

As for manual trans I have no idea, I've always been partial to automatics with stall converters and mods. The TH400 with a BOP bolt pattern, and rear shafts from whatever chevy version the application requires... Motor mounts are as described before, mate every thing up, mount in place, mark and drill the new mount holes. There are adapter plates available as well.

Headers and starters... Headers are usually a pretty tight fit, so heat is usually and issue with starters... Mini Hi torques, remote solenoids, heat shields, header coating or wraps usually help... I still haven't mocked up the headers for the blazer, but in the camaro, the cutlass ones fit like a charm. May actually get stubs and make my own for the blazer...

geez, I could go on and on, and will if anyone's interested, lol.... was nice to post and actually know what I was talking about! :D

13. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Jegs sells BOPengine/GM4x4tranny tranny adapters for $54 a piece.

14. Supreme70

Supreme70 1/2 ton status

The motor mounts and the bell housing are different from the olds to the chevy, you can get the motor mounts from a diesel truck and get the trans from one to or get the adapter plate for it. Its a strong torque motor so it would be worth putting it in, Im an olds guy and I just got into the 4x4 chevy trucks so I will be putting a 455 in sometime down the road:grin: You can run the diesel rad and get all the hoses to mate up from the auto parts store. u will either have to get the power steering pump from the diesel or make up new brackets for the chevy one. hope this helps you out.

MIchael

87 CHEVY SHORT BED 1/2 TON
    SUPREME70 CUTLASS SX

15. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

the diesel p/s setup wil be hydroboost, so if you have vacuum brakes then youre gonna have problems, i have a hydroboost 5.7L diesel entire p/s pump and brackets setup if anyone is looking ?? also alt setup, aluminum bracket style,

you needs olds v8 parts to put in olds engine into chev, its not hard to do, its all bolt in conversion, everything, mounts, and all., not a rare conversion at all, pretty common really, see them now and then around here even, both 4x4 and 4x2 but the diesel 350 was only factory put into 78-85 c-10s and full size cars, and all were hydroboost system equipped,

good luck