Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

46" Baja Claws

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieRed, Apr 16, 2003.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

46\" Baja Claws

Supposed to be comin out soon, they are awesome in 38s, any of ya'll gonna look at these?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Re: 46\" Baja Claws

where did you get this info? I thought 44s were the biggest because they were the biggest legal in most states. Wouldn't make much sense to sell a tire for road/off use if its not DOT approved in most state.s

3. SCOTTS_4X

SCOTTS_4X 1/2 ton status

if the 53" tires on military vehicles are DOT approved, what makes you think someone would have trouble getting a 46" tire dot approved?

-Scott

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I don't think that the DOT has a limit on tire size, but some states do limit tire size. I've heard rumors that CA has a 44" limit but have yet to find anything in the vehicle code that says that. I don't know about other states.</font>

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

but see beadlocks on hummers are approved. ITs the governments stuff they can get things slid by the law or didn't you know that?

6. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

In the great state of texas, the headlights just have to be lower than 55" i think. so you just gotta move your headlights down to your bumpers and you can run giant tires/lift.

7. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The only reason beadlocks would not be street legal is because they are not DOT approved. The reason most of them are not DOT approved is because it requires extensive testing (aka big money)to achieve DOT certification. Most beadlock manufacturers are relatively small companies and just can't afford the certification.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The only reason beadlocks would not be street legal is because they are not DOT approved. The reason most of them are not DOT approved is because it requires extensive testing (aka big money)to achieve DOT certification. Most beadlock manufacturers are relatively small companies and just can't afford the certification.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> It is my understanding that vehicle equipment does not need to be tested to meet DOT regulations. The DOT publishes standards that an item must meet, and the manufacturer simply certifies that the equipment meets those standards. The only DOT regulations that I have seen on rims is that they must have the manufacturer's name and the load rating stamped somewhere on the wheel, that is all.

I searched the DOT codebook for hours trying to find where it said that beadlocks are not legal, and could find nothing. I have never seen a state law that says beadlocks are illegal either.</font>

10. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

I believe where the hitch is with beadlocks is this. IIRC, it states somewhere in the DOT regulations that modification of a DOT approved wheel is not permitted. Since both aftermarket and factory wheels are DOT approved (that I am aware of anyhow) and the installation of beadlocks requires modifying the wheels to accept the lock ring bolts, you have thereby violated DOT regulations and created a wheel "illegal" for use on the highway.

Hope this helps,

Lance

11. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Yes, but that does not say that beadlocks are in themselves illegal, which is what everyone is always saying. Rockstomper will make a set of beadlocks, are they considered the manufacturer? According to Scott they are, so his are legal. Champion says the same thing, they even have a page on their website saying that their wheels are legal.

I'm running Hummer wheels, which are DOT approved, but they have had the backspacing changed so they are no longer legal... I'm just hoping that most cops don't know wnough about what they're looking at to be able to tell the difference. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif </font>

12. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

how wide are they going to be? those are badass tires. they are quiet as hell, and grip good.

46' tires are bad ass too /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Build your own beadlocks that are DOT approved. I built my own and they had the DOT approval prior to me welding the rings on. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno... it seems like if this was the ONLY thing holding bead-lock makers back, that one (or more!) of the bigger wheel-makers would make the investment to get them DOT legal so they could corner the street-legal beadlock rim market for themselves. There has to be atleast one rim maker who could afford the process...

j

15. mudgition

mudgition 1/2 ton status

It was my understanding that the design of beadlocks actually sends a bolt through the bead of the tire to lock the bead to the rim. That would compromise the integrity of the DOT tire. I think thats why they CAN'T meet the certification. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

16. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

down in va, the largest tire you can "legally" run is a 39...im running 42s and had some 44s but never caught slack for it...its all up to police discretion

dont drive like a jerk and usually you wont get pulled over

Later

17. Ronnie4wd

Ronnie4wd 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have weld on beadlocks. There are no bolts through my tires and the cops here don´t know what they´re looking at.Anyone seen those 46" tires sure would like someone to post a pic /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    It was my understanding that the design of beadlocks actually sends a bolt through the bead of the tire to lock the bead to the rim.

[/ QUOTE ]
    That understanding is not correct. You're thinking of the huge sheet metal screws that some drag racers use to keep their rims from spinning within the tire. Beadlocks just use bolts to provide clamping force. The bolts don't touch the actual tire itself. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

yeah true beadlocks actually use an inner and an outer ring to clamp down on the bead and hold it in place...no holes in the tire or any of that...now you can do the poor mans beadlock and run screws or bolts through the tire...but once you spin the tire on the rim youre pretty much out of a tire

Later

20. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

You are basically correct on the modification process. The typcial beadlock modification machines off the outer wheel ring and welds on a new piece, basically drastically altering the original structure of the wheel. If the original wheel is DOT approved, then this major modification changes the wheel enough that the original cerfification if no longer valid.

Along the regulation lines, auto and parts manufacturers are required to "self-regulate" themselves when it comes to DOT and FMVSS standards (federal motor vehicle safety standards) as set forth by the government. The government gives these companies the ability to approve there parts and vehicles without being individually tested by independent companies or the government. This means that the government does not test each type of vehicle or part (just not practical)though the manufacturers do, and are responsible to make sure the vehicles meet the regulations and provide documentation of the testing. If a manufacturer does try to slip a vehicle or component onto the market and gets caught, then they are in major trouble. As an example, if a company marketed a beadlock as being DOT approved, but could not provide proof that the proper procedures were performed, then they would probably be fined on a per day basis for each wheel sold = big $$$$.

The reason you don't see any big wheel companies offering DOT approved beadlocks is finacial. It would take quite a bit of work to design the wheel, design the manufacturering facility, pay workers, market the wheels, test them for DOT approval, for what is overall a really small speciality market (how many vehicles with beadlocks do you see on a daily basis???).