Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

46 inch tires and D60 question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Seventy4Blazer, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

with 40 spline inners and 35 spline outters 4.88 gears and doubler-465 combo and a diesel or propane injeced 454 be asking to blow up the 60...?
    Grant

2. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

I pretty confidently say yes. Rockwells are the order of the day for 46s on a heavy truck that sees off road use.

3. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

i tend to agree, however rocks ain't all they're cracked up to be. the shafts are not much larger than a 14FF and they weight a ton more. the shafts tend to be brittle as well and parts are way more expensive. keep the D60, and run a 1350 or 1310 u-joint and it should grenade before the shafts will.

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

You could always try lock out fuses for a built in grenade point. All the major manufacturers use designed weak points for a lot of different reasons. No reason why we shouldn't do the same.

5. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Whats the point of 40 spline innters and 35 spline outers? the stubs will be the weak point and you will still break... Just go 40 spline throughout with CTM's and drive flanges and you should be ok for a while depending on what your going to do.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

who is selling full on 40 spline setups? I have been looking around the past few days.

7. Seventy4Blazer

i didnt know about the 40 spline outters. ethier way i would be planning on molly shafts inner and outer. ctm knucke joints, hub fuses and 1410 drive shaft joints.
    i think with enogh fines it would be alright, but i also am not 100% on the idea.

i belive superior axle is making the molly shafts for the detroit 40 spline. i have to buy a detroit anyway, and am thinking of the 40 spline unit. i would like to also get molly shafts, so im debating if i should just do it or not.
    Grant

8. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Superior will make the 40 spline stubs to. But, they will not fit the spindles. You will have to have a custom spindle turned and either new bearings to fit the old wheel hub or a new wheel hub made as well.

9. Seventy4Blazer

i think that would be WAY out of budget, but thanks for the info.
    Grant

10. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

With CTM joints and crmo axles, I can 99.9999% assure you that you will break the hubs first then the ring and or pinion, and or next the drive shaft ujoints. Do Not Run hub fuses in the hubs with locker, they don't last worth a @hit. Besides you can't get them for a 60's anyways IIRC.

I just spoke with the Superior rep today, through Desert Rat, and he assure us that you will not break Shafts/UJoint with CTM... The weak link is now in the drivetrain, and not in the axles, but that's based on big tires not 49" tires. The moving mass weight of this tire is huge, and a 60 is going to have issues.

Now, 49's on 60's that's another story, it's tire size and absolute mass with be almost impossible to run in the rocks. We have one at the shop, and they are huge, and are VERY HEAVY. I would assure you that running these tires in the rocks is a certain breakage gona happen, period!

Rob

11. Jim Johnson

Jim Johnson Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    with 40 spline inners and 35 spline outters 4.88 gears and doubler-465 combo and a diesel or propane injeced 454 be asking to blow up the 60...?
    Grant

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a friend running 46 Michelins, Ford D60, doubler and 302 with 1350 joints, 35 spline outers.....He hammers on it hard, and he has not had any problems ( his truck is pretty light as well)

12. Jim Johnson

Jim Johnson Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    who is selling full on 40 spline setups? I have been looking around the past few days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Curious - Are you guys actually breaking the 35 spline set up and need the 40 splines? or do you just want them to have them?.....

13. Seventy4Blazer

well, i play VERY hard on EVERYTHING i own. my 2wd 2003 sonoma had more dents, dings, stains, bruises and miles on it than it should have. drive it like you rented it is my motto. and i do. a few people here can verify this. if i decide to get 46's then i will go 40 spline inners, 35 spline outters, bullets, and CTM for the front. thats cash, and im soon to have a lot more of it.

i do however thing that i will stay with getting the 42's. i think 4.10's 42's SM465 and the doubler will hold me out. while i am overseas im going to save up and get a 502 replacement for my dually. then the 454 is getting a propane injection setup and going in the blazer.
    it is by far NOT going to be a light rig at all. so 46's and a 60 would give me problems i think.

thanks for the input guys. i guess 46's will be on the next rig i own.
    Grant