Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

465/205 adapter?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big pappa b, Aug 3, 2004.

1. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Is the adapter from an older 10 spline setup the same as the late model 32? Found a newer setup but no adapter.. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

IIRC the 10 spline adaptor is a figure 8 shape and the 32 spline adaptor is the round style.

Rene

3. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

well I have good news and I have bad news. I too was wondering if the stock 10 spline adapter could be made to work, but I found out that no, it is too short to work with the long 32 spline 465 output.

HOWEVER,
    From what I've researched ORD makes a spacer so you can use the 10 spline adapter and the 32 spline output. However I am not for sure on this, and I also don't know what it would cost (I am assuming $$$). This is the route I will have to go with my old figure 8 465/205 setup.

BUT,
    since you have the newer style NP205 with the circle bolt pattern, you cant use the stock 10 spline adapter. But there is a light at the end of the tunnel for you...the factory SM465/NP208 adapter will work. The SM465 in front of the 208 always used the 32 spline long output shaft AFAIK. There are two versions of this adapter, the tall and short, and truthfully Im not sure which would be better for you. But, at least you have a cheap solution. As a plus, these adapters, while not an everyday occurrence, are far more common than the 32 spl 465/205 adapters.

Also, the 465/208 adapter does not have a shifter boss in it, like both the old and new 465/205 adapters do. So you will have to do a little rigging to get the shifter to work for you.
    Good luck, hope this helps!

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

BUT,
    since you have the newer style NP205 with the circle bolt pattern, you cant use the stock 10 spline adapter. But there is a light at the end of the tunnel for you...the factory SM465/NP208 adapter will work. The SM465 in front of the 208 always used the 32 spline long output shaft AFAIK. There are two versions of this adapter, the tall and short, and truthfully Im not sure which would be better for you. But, at least you have a cheap solution. As a plus, these adapters, while not an everyday occurrence, are far more common than the 32 spl 465/205 adapters.

Also, the 465/208 adapter does not have a shifter boss in it, like both the old and new 465/205 adapters do. So you will have to do a little rigging to get the shifter to work for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah... not quite /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

The SM465/208 adapter is ~2" shorter than the 85-91 SM465/205 adapter. Reason is the long 32-spline input used on the round pattern 205s.

While the 208 & 205 round patterns have the same bolt holes, the 205 adapter is notched for shift rail clearance.

You *could* use an 85-91 NP205 on the SM465 w/208 adapter if you:
    - swap in 80-84 short 32-spline input
    - notch adapter for shift rails
    - fabricate shifter boss