Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

465/205 Conversion

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LA Bogger, May 17, 2002.

1. LA Bogger

LA Bogger 1/2 ton status

This will be behind a Big Block. I mostly do trails and boggin. I was sold on auto till I checked the White Knight site with the 465 with video. Now I'm in a stand still. What are your opinions with pro/cons....

Eat More Mud!!!

2. trukman1

trukman1 1/2 ton status

LA Bogger, I personally went with a TH400 due to injury but until then was diehard manual man. Since then 've come to like my automatic. The fact that the torque converter multiplys torque in the beginning gives the same effect as having a lower gear ratio (at low RPM's) and it sure makes stopping and starting in bad places much easier. I did mount an aftermarket cooler though. That said, the old 465's and 420's are tough trannies. I just always wrecked havoc on the clutch components when serious four wheeling. Now, I've got a good transmission that seems to hold up well, gives me great bottom end torque with better highway manners and no more shifting in town. Overall, I like the automatic (never thought I'd be saying that) and will stick with it. I can run 4.10:1 gears and it feels like the 4.56:1 set in my old truck on bottom end yet easier on the highway. I think of it as a built in overdrive. Just my opinion though. If you need transfer case parts for swaps I seriously suggest contacting www.4xheaven.com in NY for the best prices and great people and service. Hope this helps. Gary