Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

465/ 205 fluid transfer ??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Thumper, Apr 25, 2003.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Is there something I missed on installation? I checked the oil level in the tranny yesterday. It was low, but I knew it would be cause its been leaking a bit. So I topped it up... almost 2qts! Weird, but glad I checked. Then I check the t-case. Oil pours out of the check hole... I mean pours. The case is way full, and the tranny was way low. Does this happen normally? Will the oil transfer back and forth? Should the oil transfer back and forth? Will it hurt anything by either of them being overfull?
    Thanks
    Mike

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Yep you are swappin' fluid...most likely the seal in the adapter is toast...I wouldn't worry too much about it, but I would't let it go either...Specd an afternnon pulling the t-cast and adpater out and re-sealing the piss out of it...ALWAYS use cork gasket (NO RTV) on the tranny and t-cae mating saurfaces....

Then replace the seal in the adapter and be carefull not to nick it upon installation...

Chris

3. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Where is the seal in the adapter? I thought it was just a chunk of steel with the legs on it to mount to. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    Is it internal?
    Mike

4. fortcollinsram

Well the cork seals are on the mating surfaces of the adapter, obviously, and the rubber seal that is IN the adapter in on the t-case side with the "cup" facing the t-case, know what I mean? Like this:

[

So the numbers and such are facing the tranny...The ID of the seal should match the OD of the t-case input shaft and the OD of the seal should match that of the hole in the adapter...

Chris

5. fortcollinsram

Yeah the 465/205 adapter has one seal and the coupler sleeve in it...The 350/205 adapter has 2 seals and a bearing to support the sleeve /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Chris

6. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Isn't there 2 diferent 350/205 adapters one with the bearing and one without?

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Of course my 465/205 combo probably has 200,000+ miles on it, but my seal failed (same deal, low tranny, overfull t-case)and shortly after I noticed they were swapping fluid, the tranny started whining at low speeds.

Not that it seems to be hurting anymore than before, but obviously letting the tranny lose fluid isn't good for it. Also noticed the front output seal on the t-case started leaking gear oil, I'm assuming because of too much fluid. And that it's about 27 years old. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif