Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

465/205 leak

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pvfjr, Jan 28, 2005.

1. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I've got a pretty good leak between my tranny and t-case, seems to me coming out right where the adapter meets the tranny. I've got the old 10 spline ones, and am just kinda wondering what I'm looking at here. I'm not sure if the adapter is supposed to fill up with oil, or if each case should be self contained and sealed separately. The tranny drains the fastest, but they both are losing oil. What should I do? Is there a seal on the tranny output and t-case input? Or should I just RTV the adapter to everything till it stops leaking? Black RTV maybe?

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you need a gasket on both the tranny and the tcase, if not you will be replacing the adapter or maybe the tcase or tranny. so don't just put rtv on it.

the adapter is suppose to have oil in it. the adapter is actually the back half of the tranny. when you take it off, you will see the lower bearing on the tranny.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Did you try snugging up the adapter bolts just for the heck of it?

There is a seal in there, if it fails, the t-case fills up with fluid, drains the tranny, and then blows fluid out the t-case, wherever that may be, in my case, the yoke seals.

4. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I have tried snugging up the bolts yet, they seem to be tight enough. So the tranny fills the adapter, and there's supposed to be gaskets on both sides of the adaptor? So then there's a seal on the t-case input to keep them separated? How hard is it to replace? Should I just replace both gaskets and the seal?

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

There really should be no pressure, so if the adapter gaskets are leaking, yep I'd replace them. Since you have to seperate the tranny and t-case, might as well do the seal while you are in there!

6. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Alright then, guess I'll do that. I don't suppose a parts store would have those, so I'll probably head off to the dealer. I also think the t-case is leaking out the speedo output. I think that the gear is actually missing, so can't really get a good seal there! I can't even get that stupid nut off to try to fit the speedo gear from my old 203 in there. Gonna have to ponder a little. Thanks for the help!

7. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

From what I have learned the seals are o-rings in the adapter on the old style 465/205.
    Should be pretty easy to get.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Try National oil seal, P/N 471869, you'll need two.:grin:

9. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Thanks, but two? They both go in the same place?