Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

465/205 rebuild questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Muddytazz, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I picked up a set up a few weeks ago and was wondering what the average cost is to have both rebuilt by someone else versus me doing it myself?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2006
  2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

No one has any info?

3. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

I have absolutely no idea to your specific question. All I can say is that if you decide to do it yourself both of those units are super-easy to rebuild. I just ordered a master overhaul kit for my 465 from Novak and after shipping was only $210. Thats gaskets and everything.

The last time I had a sm465 apart to change over the mainshaft I was too far away from a shop press so I took the mainshaft up to the local transmission shop and they wanted like $90 to press off a gear and a couple of bushings and press the new ones on. Pfffft. I would hate to know what they would have wanted to rebuild the whole thing.

It seems around here anyways that the "transmission" shops just want to swap out autos. They don't seem to fool with rebuilding manuals very much/at all.

Anyways I know thats of no help at all, and your question is not "do you guys think I should build my own tranny and t-case?", but I wouldnt shy away from it at all if you find that its too expensive for you to take it to the shop.

Good luck

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I'm not at all shying away from doing it myself. Was just more curious as to costs. Plus I'd like to know where to buy rebuild kits for both.

5. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well call some tranny shops to get a quote

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Jeff, i have no experience with the 465 but i've rebuilt about 5 or 6 205's and they are easy. In fact they very rarely need any internal parts just new gaskets and seals. Take a road trip down here and we'll rebuilt it. :D

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Road trip here I come......

I wish bro, message me on yahoo or aim and we can talk

8. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

the quote i got for my 465 was around $500, so thats why im gunna rebuild myself. im getting sick of it sticking in 3rd every few weeks. :D