Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

465/205 Swap Questions?? Throwout bearing??"?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by protechk5, Feb 28, 2007.

1. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

Ok Im doing my 465 swap and I think I got the wrong throw out bearing. Im using a flywheel,l clutch, and pressure plate off of a 6.5 and when I press the clutch in, the throw out bearing gets caught on the input shaft of the 465. Does anyone know which is the right throwout bearing?? I think I need a deeper one or something. Also is there only one type of clutch fork?? Cuz I heard there might be more than one. If you have the part numbers for either of them that would be great! Thanks

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Are you sure it's not a bad bearing, that would hapen if it is:confused:

If you didn't change trany, it should be the same, it's not diferent for the diesel.

3. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

Bearing seems fine. Do you have to match up the pressure plate with the right bearing?

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

they should be the same.
    Did you check to see that the dimples on the fork are still good?
    someimes they wear out and then it will bind when you press the clutch.
    :confused:

5. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

Yeah they look fine, but Im almost 100% that its the bearing going to far on the shaft, and it gets stuck and keeps the clutch disingaged until i unbolt the trany from the bellhousing. The guy im doing it with said that there are deeper throw out bearings than others.

6. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

would it make a difference that the pressure plate im using is a diaphragm and over all it thinner than the old one is like a 3 fingered one and is thicker, so it seems like i need a deeper throw out bearing for the thinner one??? I dont know im going to look tomorrow at different bearings and try again, also with a new fork.

7. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Gets caught on the actual input shaft or on the od of the bearing retainer?? If it is hanging up on the bearing retainer then I would check for an imperfection in the surface the t/o bearing rides on. If it is actually hanging up on the input shaft (coming completely off the bearing retainer) then you have waaaaay too much bearing travel. Could be caused by the wrong fork. Mechanical linkage used a fairly straight fork, while a hydro clutch used a fork with a very pronounced "s" curve at the slave end. I could see an issue using a hydro fork with mechanical linkage, but not the other way around.

I believe there is only one bearing mechanical or hydro. IIRC, it is a BCA number 614018. It has been many years since I sold one, but I *think* that is the number. Now that I think about it, there was a 614109 available also, but the dimensions were very similar. 614018=mechanical, 614109=hydro (I think).​

8. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

yeah im pretty sure your right about having too much bearing travel, im going to try again and see what happens

9. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

The diaphram and 3 finger clutches have different throw out bearings. You don't want to mix those parts together. The clutch forks themselves only change between the mechanical vs/ hydraulic bellhousings. It shouldn't be a problem if you keep the mechanical clutch fork with the mechanical bellhousing.