Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

465/241 fluid capcities, how to fill 241 help please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Dec 14, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Alright I need to know the fluid capacity of a 465 and a 241. I know gear oil and ATF, I poured 5 quarts in the 465 already. Thing about the 465 is I fill through the shifter hole since its SO much easier than the fill hole but then I have no idea if its full.

Also how do I fill the 241? I know there is the fill/check hole but what about the planetary area? Do I drive it a bit and hope fluid gets up and fills that through the pump then stop and add more fluid to the case? Or will it be fine? The case has sat empty for almost a year now.

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I put about a gallon in hte 241 that was in my 98. Should be the same for yours

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The 241 is similar to a 208. There is no seperate planetary case on the 208. It is all housed in one big compartment. Pull the fill plug and fill tell fluid comes pouring back out the hole at you and your done. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to recheck the level after you drive it for awhile.

Harley

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

the eaisest way i have found to fill the 241, sence you cant tip up a bottle under there, it to punch about a 3/8" hole int the cap of one of the bolttles and just squirt it in, that seems to be the best way, and cheapest:waytogo:

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

My thought was I should have pulled the fill plug and poured in a little fluid before I hoisted that thing up there. That way I could havedefinetally gotten fluid up in the planetarys. I know its not very seperate but I've had a 208 apart and there is a bit of seperation. Not to mention the fill hole is a few inches below the planetary case. i got just over 3 quarts into the 241. I think IFS 241s are clocked flatter, that would make sense as to why they take more fluid.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I was filling my 465 at the sametime as my 241 so I just took one of those funnel tips from the gear oil and put it on the 241. I keep those tips and throw away the bottles, they come in handy often.