Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

465 and 203/205 doubler

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Stormin, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Stormin

Stormin Registered Member

I just recently toasted another th350 and I'm getting sick of replacing them. Been kicking around ideas of what to swap out to. I think I'd like to convert to a stick and was thinking a 465 (briefly considered shelling out the bucks for a nv4500 but overdrive is overrated and other than that it sounds like they are the same).
    The pro
    blem is I have never serviced ANY part of a manual transmission and I have very little idea of how everything goes together. I've read all the tech articles I can find and it seems like the hardest part is figuring out the clutch linkage. To that end, I was looking at a Wilwood floor mounted clutch pedal with it's own master cylinder.
    www.wilwood.com/Products/005-PedalAssemblies/001-FMP/fmsmcp/index.asp
    Provided I went with a hydraulic 465, would the install be as simple as bolting down this pedal and hooking up a hose? Also, other modificati
    ons will I have to do to install the clutch, flywheel, etc.?

On to the doubler. It seems that there are 3 different ways to mount the 203 rangebox to the 465. The easy choice would obviously be to buy a 465 mated to a 203 but ORD claims the 10 spline shaft is a weak link. Also, I'm not sure I can get this combo with a hydraulic 465. The other two options involve drilling and tapping holes or swapping out shafts and sounds like a pain in the ass.

I'm just having a hard time trying to get a handle on what is best combination of parts to use. Anybody have any suggestions or tips on what year/type of truck I might find them in?

I am also kicking around the idea of a 465/205 with a Klune underdrive. Install seems like it would be easier and the gear would be lower but it's $1000 more. Thoughts?

2. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

Duder,

I followed the instructions int eh tech seciton, went with a manual linkage and a 465/205...never looked back. The hardest part was boltign the bracket under the dash board...There are lots and lots of threads on this, but the long and short of it is, yes, do it.

3. YZEATER

YZEATER 1/2 ton status

only the bellhousing, and clutch fork is different for the hydraulic clutch. not the tranny itself. just find a truck that has a hydro setup and take everything you need, pedals included and all the hydro stuff. sometimes you can find all of it for sale on here.