Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

465 and 205..how do I pull them apart?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 55Willy, Feb 25, 2002.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Okay I have never pulled a case off a tranny. I'm cleaning mine and I want to pull them apart so I can do a thurough job. can I just pull them apart at the adaptor or do I have to gut the whole 205? I'm hoping I can just pull each piece off the adapter, and if i do can I just get those 2 gaskets? I don't want to do a complete tear down ..although we know thats where it will end up..but I just want them apart so I can clean them up real good. TIA

55Willy

<hr></blockquote>
    What do you mean, Where did I get it??...I <font color=blue>BUILT</font color=blue> the damn thing!!

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

jeremy, you give them to me so i can conver to manual.
    no really, you can pull them apart at the adaptor. you can use rtv for the gaskets since it isnt an auto. or you can buy them at the parts store. just need to know what it cam out of.
    this is one of those times i wish i was still in eugene, i could come help ya out and not be as bored.
    any update on the 205?
    and a shipping cost?
    Grant

take me drunk, i am home
    www.geocities.com/seventy4blazer/parts4sale.html

3. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

yup hes right just pull them apart at the adapter or whatever. the gasket is not a big deal but you'll have to silicone the bolts when you put em back in.. most of the time those gaskets will actually come off in one re-useable peice. thats been my experience anyway..

SeventyFour: if you're really interested in converting to manual, let me know Ive got all the parts you need (minus t-case)

mike

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

are we 100% on the silicone instead of gaskets?
    anyone ever mic the bearing snap ring thickness vs the relief in the adapter to see if the gasket is a must have?

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

5. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

funny you should mention that. Just a couple hours ago I bolted the th350 adapter onto my 205 sitting on the work bench. I actually did a dry-run and it seemed like the releif WAS calc'ed out to include a gasket.. BUT I had the gasket sitting right there, so I didnt bother to pursue the matter further.. I just tapped the bearing flat with a smooth hammer to make sure it wasnt sticking out, then I installed the adapter + gasket... maybe it was my imagination or maybe I had the adapter slightly off center, I dont know. Either way Id run the gasket, or run a 1/8" consistent bead of silicone, let it set up a little, then install and just snug the bolts.. when its a little harder, then tighten the bolts, you know? just something to keep the gap..

I have a spare 205 and sm465 adapter sitting around, when Im not busy Ill find out for sure and post my findings

mike

6. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Mike,
    Would you consider selling that spare adaptor????
    Sam

Project Manager: 1975 K5 HD

7. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

only way Im selling that adapter is with the complete manual-tranny setup that I removed off the truck... its sm465, np205 adapter, clutch linkage, bellhousing, all the junk inside and brackets and even the pedal.. if you want the whole thing lemme know. other wise, sorry i dont wanna separate

mike

8. k30gambi

k30gambi 1/2 ton status

Make sure you found a place that has the two gaskets for the adapter cuz if your experience is anything like mine, half the parts places wont know what the f**k you're talking about when you mention that adapter.

9. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I've got a 465/205 adapter..... Don't have the spline sleeve though...

Marv

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

dont ask me why i mentioned that relief thing

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

11. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

If you guys are wheeling and dealing please make a new post I don't need to read over MY post on MY question just to see two people post back and forth on what they have. I do appreciate the help that was posted about my question though. Thanks,
    55Willy

<hr></blockquote>
    What do you mean, Where did I get it??...I <font color=blue>BUILT</font color=blue> the damn thing!!

12. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

55Willy,

I apologize for stepping on your post......

Marv

13. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Thanks marv. It's just that I have never had one apart and so when I got the reply I went ahead and yanked them apart..then I come back online and see 4 new post..I'm like "whoops..what did I miss or do wrong for that many replies" just to find people trying to sell a set up ...no harm no foul.

<hr></blockquote>
    What do you mean, Where did I get it??...I <font color=blue>BUILT</font color=blue> the <a target="_blank" href=http://mandydyer.tripod.com/55WillysWagon4x4.htm>damn thing</a>!!

14. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Yes, I was the one who asked about the adaptor and the whole little incident is MY FAULT, so don't blame any one else for "trying to sell" anything.

But if there was "no harm, no foul" why do you bring it up??
    I think you should thickin' up that skin of yours.

Project Manager: 1975 K5 HD

15. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I think you should thickin' up that skin of yours.

<hr></blockquote>
    If only you knew...

BTW it's in the site guidlines on hi-jacking a post

<hr></blockquote>
    What do you mean, Where did I get it??...I <font color=blue>BUILT</font color=blue> the <a target="_blank" href=http://mandydyer.tripod.com/55WillysWagon4x4.htm>damn thing</a>!!

16. Anteak

Anteak 1/2 ton status

So... How about an up-date on how easy it came apart. Did you find anything different than what was described in the posts. Will you post here or start another post to tell us about the assembly.

Still interested.

73 Blazer So. Ca. Waiting to remove a sm465, 205

17. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I pulled the tranny off the adaptor first, 6 or 7 bolts, some need a wrench others you can use a socket on. Not real tight[​IMG] is there torque specs on these? and i then pulled the shift lever off the adapter and pulled the case off as well. I did notice the case bolts had lock washers and the tranny did not? has someone had their fingers in this before? I got the adapter off the crossmember( I pulled them out as a full unit out of the parts rig) The adapter is all cleaned and painted as is the other crossmember. The case is all wired wheeled and it took about 2.5 hours with a 4" wheel.
    next question:
    How you guys go about reinstalling this?
    bolt it all together then sliding it into place or do it piece by piece..install the crossmember, botl on the adaptor, then the case and finally bolt the tranny to the front? I do not have the body on so i was thinking of bolting on the crossmember then bolting the whole assembly together the drop it into place with a cherry picker???
    TIA
    55Willy

<hr></blockquote>

18. k30gambi

k30gambi 1/2 ton status

I am going to have to do this soon so i'm wondering too. I think a person could bolt the two together and as long as they have it balanced good they could slide it right in. I could be wrong. It just seems alot easier to put them together first because while muscling the 205 alone up there you may not get the gasket to seal good then you ruin the whole idea you took them out.