Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

465 and eaton questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 69K5, Oct 23, 2003.

1. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

finally got the cover off the 465 and not a drop of fluid in it. look here and see if its workable please. its still doesnt want to shift except reverse but its getting looser. maybe just put some fluid in it and work with it to loosen it up?

also please look and see whats in the eaton. im not sure what it is if anything.

sorry the pics suck but so does the camera. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

69k5 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

fill er up with PB blaster and wait a few hours, then try rotateing the input or the output shaft to see if you can get things turning inside, looks like only surface rust, but im not a garu in these situations, but my 12 bolt had some surface rust on it when i got it on the gears i just sprayed it down with wd-40 and then brake clean and then filled it up and drove with it. and that diff looks like a detroit, of corse im probly wrong, someone else can filed the diff question. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

fill the whole case with marvel's mystery oil and soak the the top cover in it also it'll free up

4. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

thanks. alll the shaft turns. i will just have to gobuy some more marvelmystery oil and fill her up. its only surface rust no pitting or anything. i hope it works out good.

i took the diff cover off and it didnt have anything stamped on the ring except

YY and B9 wth??

the pinion end i could see said

934642-7-32 any ideas on this? i was just trying to see my gears. i cant see the pinion enough to count the teeth on it. guess if no one knows ill pop the d44 up front and see.

thanks again
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    69k5

5. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

bump

6. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Make sure the 465 will spin in all different gear combos (just manually move the shift collars on the main shaft to select the differeent gears...If everything spins, spray some PB Blaster on the shift rails on the top cover and try to free them up...the top cover is pretty easy to rebuild in a short amount of time...maybe pull it apard and clean off the shift rails...

Don't know much about eatons, but I think they are pretty cool...

7. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Take some carb cleaner/brakekleen, and on the very nose of the pinion shaft, it will have the gear ratio stamped on it.

By nose I mean, where the pinion come's in contact with the ring gear. Kinda of a pain to see, but it's there. A flashlight come's in handy too. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. cornfed

cornfed 1/2 ton status

If your asking if the Eaton is a detroit or not look at the diff on the side the ring gear bolts to. There is some inspection holes - look and see if you see a spider gear. If you do it is open and if not you have a factory no-spin ( detroit) in it.

9. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

if push comes to shove, its an eaton you can pull the whole diff realy easilly. Thats the beauty of third member axles /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

don the "nose" had this stamoped on it
    the pinion end i could see said

934642-7-32

cornfed

im not sure what apider looks like exzactly. i remember the whole and saw domething that looked likea round gear about 2 inches in diameter with teeth. sorry ive never opened up an axel before

thanks

69k5

11. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

32 div by 7 = 4.57 so it has 4:57"s for gear.

If You saw the "side gear's" it's an open differential. Detroit/No-Spin, are just round, no teeth, when viewed through the inspection hole's.

12. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

don

thanks for clearing that up i wasnt sure which numbers to divide. at least i dont have to worry about gears for the upcoming lift. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif and its open no biigie. i kinda thought it was b/c i had it jacked up and was spinning the tires and then jerking it one way and the other looking for a reaction in it.

this doesnt sound like the shakespeare im supposed to be studying does it. guess i better get to work.

thanks again

69k5

13. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

well with dons knowledge and math on the rear end I know its 4.57 After inspectin the fron end today it says they are 4.55 if im correct that comes out to 4.56! at least i dont have to worry about gears when i go to 35's. where is that rpm chart at for gears ?

69k5