Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

465 driveshaft swap ?'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jaredmajor, Apr 3, 2006.

1. jaredmajor

jaredmajor Registered Member

yes i did search and didn't find what i was looking for. I have a 350/203, it's a k10 shortbed, i am swapping in a 465/205. I already have the front driveshaft, but do i have to shorten or lengthen my rear driveshaft? A search didn't come up with the exact answer, but i am shure this has been covered a million times.:rolleyes:

2. jaredmajor

anybody? I know this swap has been done a thousand times, somebody has to have the answer. I know a 205 is shorter than a 203. It looks to me like the 465 is shorter than the 350.

3. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I swapped a 465/205 in for a 350/203 in my '74 K5.
    Stock Driveshaft wasn't long enough.
    Had a new one made.

Hope that helps.

4. jaredmajor

yes it does, how much to get a new one? I was hopin this was going to be a cheap swap, but no. Seems like alot of these swaps aren't cheap.

5. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

not that this is much help. But in my 75 350/205 i put the same shaft that was from my 78 that was a 465/205. also had a 6" lift.

6. Scrubby

Scrubby 1/2 ton status

The 465/205 combo is the same length as the 350/205 combo, so I would think that a 203 would be longer. I would imagine you have to lengthen the rear drive shaft. When I did my lift, I had to have both the front and rear lengthened. With all new U-joints, CV rebuilt, slip rebuilt, and balancing, it ran me $400 at the local driveline place. For just the rear without any joints or rebuilding, I bet your looking at around $100. I could be wrong though.

7. jaredmajor

thanks, that helps, seems like this swap may be a little bit of a ways off now. I still have to get a clutch and pedals and master and slave cylinder and that braket from AA to keep my bellhousing.

8. jaredmajor

I've heard that some of these k5's with 700/241 that swapped to a 465/205 didn't need to swap their driveshaft, that so? Maybe i can get one from a junkyard for cheaper.

9. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

well if you need pedals i have ma set make me an offer i also have a master and slave if you want it all came out of a working 89 k30 make me an offer and we will see what we can do i have mechanical for now and if i do any more trans mods it will be an auto i think

10. jaredmajor

i assume thats all hydro? What about a bell housing, this is part of my problem. I live in alaska, lots of trucks, just not the parts i need anywhere. I want to do hydro, but have not luck finding a stock set up around here. I hear about all of these adapters like AA and pedals from CNC. I would like a hydro set up, fairly cheap. Would this set up work with my stock bellhousing with an adapter?

11. ProJunkRacing

i beilieve it does i have all but bellhousing i was looking for one but no luck

but that is everything needed pretty much minus the bellhousing and throwout bearing

12. jaredmajor

no bearing no problem. I know AA makes that adapter, but can i use it on the stock master cylinder?

13. ProJunkRacing

i think so not totally sure tho since i never did swap