Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

465 + Gear Vendors experience

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 77crewcab, Feb 25, 2006.

1. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Just looking to hear some feedback from someone that is/has used a gearvendors behind a sm465. This would be for daily driving and towing in my 2wd crewcab. Mainly wondering if it would really be worth the price.

2. Rhinopkc

Rhinopkc 1/2 ton status

I don't know if you're interested in opinions on just the overdrive unit itself, but I have one behind a 6.5td/4l80e with 90k on it with no problems at all. I love it.

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Ranger OD is cheaper and manual shift. That would be my choice. ;)

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

The GV is manual shift also, like a 2 speed, theres a knob on the shifter. We install many GVs on all sorts of vehicles, thery are well worth their price, espically for diesels. What engine do you have?

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Its still electric from what I can gather. Ranger is an actual shifter.

6. Rhinopkc

Rhinopkc 1/2 ton status

What's wrong with electric? It's a lot cleaner install than pulling the trans and punching a hole for another shifter.

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Just my opinion & preference... ;)
    I brought up the Ranger mainly because of the price difference for a comparable product.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You asked for opinions, well, my dads got one on his truck and I've driven/ridden in it quite a bit.

I don't think the GV unit is that great. He's running 4.10's with approx. 33" tires. (465/205) The OD ratio isn't enough IMO. His 454 still turns at something like 2500RPM at 60-65 MPH in OD (too lazy to go calc it) and that is too much for where that engine COULD cruise at.

Not to mention, the gear splits would be more effective if the ratio was something like .50 or so...the drop from OD to 4th (3rd on the knob) isn't enough to keep you moving with a heavy load up a big hill. Likewise, most of the other splits between gears aren't that good either. You need a good halfway point between each gear split on a 465 as anyone that owns one knows, and the GV doesn't give you that.

Can't use it in 4wd, which isn't a big deal for us, but that may be another point for someone looking at them.

The manual trans version (from what I read in the manual, the auto's don't do this) HAS to be manually turned off as you slow down to approx. 25MPH, or else you damage the unit, and it feels/sounds terrible when you forget you are in OD.

For the cost, I'd consider an NV4500, or check into the ranger.

9. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Well it would be going behind a 454 to start with, I am looking down the road at a 6BT swap and I don't know about keeping it then. This isn't a 4wd rig so no concerns there. I have considered the NV4500 with the cummins but haven't really looked at what it would take to swap it in with the 454. Could someone give alink to the ranger I guess I don't know what they are. I though it was just for the 4wd guys to get lower gears. BTW the 6BT will most likely get an Eaton Roadranger 9-13 speed if I can fins a way to make it fit.

10. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

11. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

The unit is built to handle 420 ft./lbs. of torque and has a G.V.W. rating of 25,000 lbs. This unit is ideal for towing applications or improving gas mileage by lowering the RPMs.

So does this mean it can handle an engine with 450-500 tq?

12. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

yeah i wouldnt doubght it.

13. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Seems kinda complicated compared to the GV unit. Shift into gear, then OD, then in one motion shift out of OD and into next gear? GV is simply pressing a button on or off. So from someone that has driven with the Ranger OD how difficult is it to use? What kind of power are you running on you engine? Really concerned that it wouldn't hold up to my 454 if it says only 420 tq.

14. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

i know of someone who used one towing 18,000 lbs behind his 502, i think it will hold up no problem.;) also most just use it for an overdrive,. shift 1,2,3 then overdrive. or if you cruising down a back road and 2 aint enough and 3 is too high then just shift into od. i would go gear vendors cause of the electronics. just to many things that could go wrong. i was gonna run a ranger box but my project went another way. Your not going to break it, plain and simple and it may be a lil more of a pain but its cheaper and theres no electronics to fail.

15. 85k30

85k30 Registered Member

i have picked up a 1986 k20 suburban last summer. it has a turbo 400. i was thinking of install gear vendors in it. has anybody done this in a suburban?

16. Rhinopkc

Rhinopkc 1/2 ton status

I don't understand how some of you talk down the GV unit because it is electronic, but then get all excited about doing EFI swaps. Doesn't the E in EFI stand for ELECTRONIC? I'm not trying to say the Ranger is a bad unit, I have no experience with it but I have a lot of experience with the GV unit and the only work I have ever had to do to it is oil changes.

17. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Apples and oranges. the benefits of fuel injection far outweigh the complexitys of the wiring and abilitys of carbs. when you have 2 units that do the exact same thing, and neither provides one benefit greater than the other things like wiring come into play and this creates an advantage for one. it may be trivial but id much rather pull a lever. for example how often does elctronic 4wd fail? when the last time you pulled the 4wd lever and it didnt work?:wink1:

18. Rhinopkc

Rhinopkc 1/2 ton status

The Ranger looks like it will be a more complicated install than the gear vendors unit, but like I said I've never installed one so I can't really speak with any authority on it the Ranger. I wouldn't compare my GV to my electronic 4X,( electro 4x %60 failure ,GV %0 failure ) GM electro 4X is a craptastical design ,I got so sick of mine that I donated the whole truck to charity!

19. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I have no experience with any of them other than I live across the street from GV:D . The ranger is quite simple to install it bolts to the SM465 bell housing and the 465 bolts to the rear of it. The GV bolts to the rear of the Tranny.

Ira

20. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

for the ranger you just pull the tranny, bolt it to the ranger, bolt the ranger to the bellhousing. cut a hole where the shifters are, perferably patch the old holes too, and move crossmember. and you dont have t mess with 1 wire.