Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

465 Hydro setup... PNs needed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Mar 29, 2002.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I am getting my hands on a 465/205 hydro setup in the next week or so, and wanted to get out here and start asking everyone's experience converting from a TH400 to the 465. I am planning for a doubler setup later this year (possibly). But that is a whole other subject, I just want to make sure that I am not doing anything now (while installing the 465) that will make things more difficult when I go to do the doubler.

Here is everything that I still need:

1. BBC flywheel
    2. throw out bearing
    3. pilot bearing
    4. master cylinder & slave cylinder (for the hydro brakes)
    5. flex line from master to slave
    6. new driveshafts

I know Ken and Layne both have hydro setups that use all the GM part numbers, and I have heard that the GM stuff makes a huge difference. Having said that I would like to hear what everyone has to say about the GM stuff vs. after market stuff. And anyone that has any of this stuff for sale, please let me know (just had to sneak that in here somewhere!) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I'm looking for ALL the info I can get my hands on... if I get enough info, I will take the time to snap pictures throughout the R&R process, and create a writeup for this since it seems like quite a few people are doing this lately. Thanks folks!

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I bought the master and slave cylinder from the local parts store. I'm sure Napa can get them. Not sure how the price compares to GM, but they were spendy. ($75 and $125 IIRC) However, I have been running them for just over a year (daily driver) and have had no problems.

One problem I just remembered though is that the master cylinder pushrod was adjustable length (stock was not) and the hole wasn't large enough to fit over the stud on the pedal. Easily fixed, but a dumb mistake for a company to make. I'm thinking perhaps the S-10's used a similar but shorter rod, and the aftermarket tried to save money by making a universal one. Anyway, just something to look for. Just go in there and say it's a 1987 with a 4speed manual, there weren't numerous similar pieces, they were all the same by that vintage.

New 12" clutch flywheel for a SBC would have cost me $180, I bought one at the swap meet ($7 admission) for $10, and had it turned for $35.

Thought I had those part numbers around, but can't find them. Try doing a search as far back as possible, maybe for "465" on this board, i think they have been posted before.

3. KRAZIE87K5

BTT - Ken? Layne? Anyone? I need to get this stuff soon... otherwise the tax return will fade away into other projects... and frankly I'd rather spend it on the rig! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/album/13180252EPlFnPcEPJ>http://community.webshots.com/album/13180252EPlFnPcEPJ</a>

5. KRAZIE87K5

Good deal, thx m_j. Good start, at least I can get things rolling at my local dealer with that! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif