Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

465 Mainshaft swap, CONTINUED ***PICS*** (MJ & RUSS)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Apr 16, 2002.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Okay. I took apart the case today, and was able to remove the bearings with nothing more than a set of flat screw drivers. Once the bearing collar and input shaft was removed, (and after spilling half the needle bearings into the case) I can't get the mainshaft to budge.

I did pull the snap rings in the front and the rear of the mainshaft. Still no movement. Removed the input shaft with the bearing collar... still nothing. Looks like some of the gears in the bottom of the case get in the way... but I can't remove the dern thing! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

What do I do now? Check out the pics here:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/dan_dycus

-Dan

2. KRAZIE87K5

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Dan, do you have a pic of the back of the tranny?

Rene

4. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I can't do much for ya bud besides offer support and thanks. I am glad to see someone tearing into these things so that the rest of us can really see how beefy these things are inside and for future refrence. I already have and drive a sm465 so I know what you have to look forward to: you have narrowed your worries to the engine u-joints and t-case. The 465 is definately not a weak link in any system. I hope this project gets going a little smoother ya alot sooner.
    Best of Luck!

--Josh

5. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

Dan,
    You have to drop the (Idler?) shaft with the gears on it down into the bottom of the case before the mainshaft will come out. I can't remember all the correct names for everything, and I am headed to work now. I can look it up in my service manual this evening when I get home for the for the correct procedure.
    Russ

6. KRAZIE87K5

I've got two different rebuilt instructions, and neither say how to drop the idler (which I think is correct). I tried to remove the front bearing to make more slack, but that didn't help. In the instructions I have, they say that I only need to pull the three bearings that I already have...

Thanks again Russ! MJ?

-Dan

7. konajoe

konajoe 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Dan,

You need to have it timed just right and it will come apart...

Joe
    79K10

Check out page one it covers disassembly...

<a target="_blank" href=http://home.attbi.com/~jmdufr/Joe/4spd/page1.jpg> 465 page 1</a>