Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

465 question for you tranny gurus

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cybrfire, Aug 3, 2005.

1. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Hey, 465 kicks out of 3rd gear hard. If you baby it when you get it in 3rd it stays in. If you dump the clutch and hammer on it, it kicks out.

Any ideas?

This would be 3rd counting granny as 1 and on up.

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I believe a bad/bent fork is the common culprit.

3. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

interesting...

so 1, 2, 3, 4 opposed to L, 1, 2, 3?

If I go from L to 1 to 2 (or 3 in your post?) I mash it and mine stays in gear.. but let off of the gas mine falls out of gear... syncros are messed up... maybe yours is messed up too but a lil different?

sorry cant help more but hope that helps some.. :doah:

4. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I've been doing some reading about the SM465 lately and came across this article.

Clicky

:D

5. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Nice article. SAVED for future reference. I think that is exactly what is going on. Doesn't look like to terrible a fix. I suppose a person could make the spacer easily enough.

Thanks guys.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

shaft spacer...

I remember seeing a fix for the SM465 tranny popping out of gear in the J.C. Whitney catolog years ago--they sold a spacer that was split down the center,and was held together by 2 allen head bolts,so you could install it without gutting the tranny,while it was still in the truck!...it looked just like a
    "Shaft Collar" like they use on industrial applications to hold pulleys and gears in place on shafts,only wider..

They were not listed in the catolog for long,nor have I seen any listed elsewhere...seemed like a good idea,but maybe it didn't pan out for some reason..too bad the "HELP" section of the parts stores dont have something like that available..its not like popping out of gear is an uncommon dilema on an SM465 tranny....and dropping one and gutting it isn't a job you can do on a sunday... :crazy:

7. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

however it is common that people just get another tranny or pay someone to repair it... it is the sect wheelers (all of us) that would tackle it.... my friends and neighbors cant believe all the crap I do... they would rather pay someone,..... :haha:

8. MoonMan

MoonMan Registered Member

Before you get too far into this I would pull the top cover off and check the wear pads on the shifter forks as well as the spring tension in the 3rd gear shift rail. Also, you should be able to check the snap rings on countershaft by pulling one of the PTO covers on the side of the transmission. In my experience with 465's, I don't believe that worn syncro's have anything to do with it coming out of gear under load.

There are new third gear and slider rings out there that are diamond cut to prevent slide out.

These are really easy to rebuild and they can be done in a rather short amount of time.