Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

465 Shifter Jams

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RSNHELL, Jan 18, 2005.

1. RSNHELL

RSNHELL Registered Member

HEY EVERYBODY. ANYBODY HAVE A PROBLEM JAMMING THE SHIFTER BETWEEN 2-3. HAD TO TAKE OFF SHIFTER TWICE AND MOVE RAILS WITH A SCREWDRIVER TO FREE IT UP. I'VE ONLY HAD IT IN FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS (REBUILT). ALSO ALOT OF SLOP IN SHIFTER . EDUCATE ME PLEASE. THANKS ,RICK. ALSO WANT MEMBERSHIP (I really am computer illiterate,thanks)

2. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the rebuild job wasn't as thorough, as you expected!:(

3. RSNHELL

I figured as much. Couldn't be the shifter being worn and /or grabbing something.i HAD THE TRANNY SWITCHED FROM 2WD TO 4WD BY CHANGING THE OUT PUT SHAFT /NEW BEARINGS AND SYNCROS. TRANNY GUY SAID EVERTHING ELSE LOOKED GOOD.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
  4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

How does the end of the shifter look?

Some of them break the weld, which will loosen the shifter up a fair amount.

I kind of doubt that will solve the binding issue, however, if the shifter is more positive, it *may* stop it from happening.

5. mr_beer

mr_beer 1/2 ton status

check the o-rings in the end of the shifter, just drive the roll pin out and there suppose to be 2 o-rings around the end

6. RSNHELL

tALKED TO THE TRANNY GUY ,AND HE SAID ITS COMMON FOR THOSE SHIFTERS TO DO THAT IF THEY ARE SLOPPY, BECAUSE THEY'LL GET CAUGHT BETWEEN THE TWO SHIFTER RAILS. IF I DO RECALL I DIDN'T SEE ANY O-RINGS EITHER. I'LL SEE IF I CAN GET THE PARTS AT THE DEALER, OR AT LEAST GET A DIAGRAM(DIMENSIONS SO I CAN FAB ONE UP) THANKS FOR THE INPUT. I'LL KEEP YOU INFORMED. P.S. GLAD TO BE HERE.

7. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

Anyone got the specs on the o-ring or a link? I have had the same problem a couple of times with mine.

8. mr_beer

mr_beer 1/2 ton status

I just used o-rings that fit kind of snug. I have a assortment box of them, so I just picked two out of it.