Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

465 shifter "o-rings"

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dyeager535, May 9, 2005.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Since I just converted to a 32 spline 465/205, I had the shifter off. As a matter of fact, I have one out of the '74 465 and the '85 465.

I've seen the "o-rings" referenced before, but never removed the end piece on the shifter, the one held in with the roll pin. Decided to pop both apart because of the "slop", and see if there was anything I could do about it.

Both of the shifters are identical in regards to that piece held in with the roll pin. There are apparently two of "o-rings" that are supposed to be in there, the '74 had nothing, the '85 did, but whatever GM used just crumbled and fell out.

From what I could tell of the pieces that were there, these were not o-rings. There are grooves both in the shifter itself and the removable piece, where the "ring" seats, but the "ring" appeared to be square cut, like a governor cover seal if anyone knows what those look like.

I checked the '85-88 parts manual, apparently thats not a "service item", as it's not shown with the shifter. I was at Napa and bought a couple of o-rings that fit, but they are not thick enough to make a tighter seat. Any known sources for the actual right piece? From Napa's o-ring chart, it didn't look like you could get the same ID o-ring, with a larger OD.

IMO these are there for nothing other than vibration/noise cancellation, BUT if they were fairly solid and a tight fit, shift feel would be at least a bit better, it couldn't get worse. :) Would be interesting to have a before/after on this. I know it can be welded up, but I'd prefer to try "stock" before taking that measure.

2. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'll have to pull mine off and see. What about split ring seals for the pistons in automatic transmissions?

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i couldn't find the correct oring at a parts store, i went to the hard ware store with the shifter and found the correct one. it is a very tight fit to get the orings on the end and even tigheter to get it in the shifter.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Those split seals might work, wonder if they'd take the "side load" they would always see without just crushing flat.

I wonder if Napa's o-ring selection just wasn't good enough...sounds like one does fit though.

I was surprised to see the '85 one in such bad shape. The originals apparently weren't real good in the first place, it was a fairly low mileage donor.

5. mtrdrms

mtrdrms 1/2 ton status

I just had mine off and I also replaced the crumbly stock items. I put the black rubber o-rings on and it was a tight fit to get them on the pin and then in shifter but it definatly didnt get rid of the slop. it was maybe a little bit tighter but the shifter can still move freely about 4-6 inches side to side. Did I not put big enough rings on? It doesnt really bother me but it would be nice. Thanks