Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

465 swap ???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by clarkjw24, Nov 6, 2005.

1. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm putting in a sm465 and need to know what all I need to take from the donor vehicle. I've got the vehicle and I think I ready to send it to scrap but was just wondering if I'm forgetting anything. Will the pedal assembly bolt in to my existing under the dash brackets?

2. Tominator II

Tominator II 1/2 ton status

I had a 75 donor truck when I put a 465 in my 73 and the clutch pedal bolted right in. The under dash spring was real fun to install as I recall. Get all the clutch linkage,brackets,springs,etc off the frame. Pull everything you think you could possibly need and you'll be fine.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd keep everything..

I think youll need the whole cluster AND the pedals,not sure--I did when I put an SM465 in my 72 K5,the automatic pedals were different,I could not just "add" the clutch pedal alone onto the brackets. Save all the linkage,etc,even if you dont plan to use it..someone else might need it!..

I'd keep the donor truck until the swap is done if at all possible..its embarassing to have to go back to the junkyard,and get parts off the same truck you junked there --IF its still there that is!--(I've done it myself!--and a few times they didn't just say "take it"..they charged me for it! :blush:

Now when I junk something,I take everything that unbolts off,and save it..I figure I can always toss away what I dont use or sell it to someone who can--better than buying it back from the boneyard! :doah: I send them only a rusty shell when I'm done stripping it!.. ;)

Its easy to forget little trinkets you'll need,that are hard to get at dealers,and can sometimes not be had at all,except for off a used hulk..like moulding clips,chrome trim strips,emblems,door handles,vent windows,etc..--its so nice to have a parts truck in the backyard--its like having your own personal junkyard,and all the parts are free! :laugh:

4. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Make sure you get the z-bar bracket that is riveted to the frame, you'll be needing that later!

I'd highly suggest going hydro, its easier to install on a truck you are converting :)