Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

465 to 205 adapter NEEDED

Discussion in 'Parts & Trucks Wanted' started by BlueBlazer, Dec 5, 2001.

1. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

I just discovered that my adapter is cracked. Anybody out there have one they would like to part with. Also, I could probably also use the sleeve that mates the tranny and case, but the adaptor is all I really need. I dont want to go wheeling til I get it fixed. Thanks

82 K5, 6.2L Diesel, sm465, np205, 14 bolt welded, 8 lug 10 bolt lock right, 410 gears, 35" Mud Kings
    SPEAK SOFTLY AND DRIVE A BIG TRUCK

2. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I have 2 adapters. One is on my truck, the other is sitting in the garage. I will not part with either, but I would like to provide advice from someone who has been around the block with adapters.

3. BlueBlazer

Uh, whats the advice, that you wont part with them. Am I missing something

82 K5, 6.2L Diesel, sm465, np205, 14 bolt welded, 8 lug 10 bolt lock right, 410 gears, 35" Mud Kings

4. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

Good advice.........................What was it?

[​IMG]

See Ya,
    Keith

<font color=green>Born to Drive My K5</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/californiak5>CaliforniaK5's Pictures</a>

5. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I was waiting for you to ask for advice. First you have to weld up the part. Then you take measures to prevent future cracks. When welding cast you need a high nickel rod and a torch. Preheat the adapter and keep it hot while you weld to prevent cracks. Some say that drilling a small hole at each end of the crack will keep it from spreading while you weld it. After keeping the adapter hot while welding up the crack, allow it to cool at the same rate as the weld by keeping it hot and letting it cool slowly. Failure to do this will result in cracked welds and possibly MORE cracks. Coating the CLEAN welds with JB Weld will help to insure a leak-free adapter upon installation. To prevent future cracking, you have to keep torque off of this cast part. Do this by stiffening the frame to prevent excessive flex, make sure your motor mounts are good, no cracks or looseness in your crossmember under the motor mounts, same with t-case crossmember, and add a torque brace to the t-case. This torque brace needs to have a soft bushing in it or you will break something else. I used a piece of 1/4 3X2 angle iron bolted to the thick flange on the right side of my case, near the frame. I bolted a piece of stock leaf spring to it with a new spring eye bushing in it. Two pieces of metal come down from the frame rail to accept a through bolt for the bushing. The flex of the spring steel and bushing will keep the assembly loose enough to move, but keep torque from the driveshafts from getting past the t-case. That is why I also made another crossmember for under my motor and am going to polyurethane motor mounts. You have to keep motor torque in the motor. Any twisting action whether from frame flex or driveline flex will break something. Your adapter is the fuse.

6. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

I've got one, if you're still interested, sleeve is included. $150 OBO for the adapter or $200 with the 465.

7. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

do you have any pics of this setup???

ARQ.

offroad baja!!!
    72 4x4 CST Blazer
    71 4x4 CST Blazer
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/ArqDennis>My Pics</a>

8. BlueBlazer

i think I can get it fixed a lot cheaper than that. Thanks anyway

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I've got one, if you're still interested, sleeve is included. $150 OBO for the adapter

<hr></blockquote>

Damn...I think I could fab and machine a new adaptor cheaper than that.[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>