Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

465 top speed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 69K5, Jan 20, 2003.

1. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i drove my first truck with a 465 today. it was completely different than expected. its a 90 gmc sierra. it had the standard L 1 2 3. at 50 or so it acted like it wanted a 4th but of course there isnt one. is there a way to add this? or is this about the top speed. how bad is this on mileage on the highway? i was definatley impressed with the granny low.

thanks

nathan /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Any idea on the gears and tire sizes? The 465's 3rd is the same as any other tranny's 3rd, 1:1, so it should be ok up to 65-70 depending on the gears, and tires...even with a stock setup its probably 2500-3000 PRM at those speeds

3. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

LOL miliage on the high way, thats a laugh, yea your engine will be running at high rpms at 65 mph. i guess you could say you pay for durability with gas milage. yea they make like a add on over drive i belive. yea granny you dont even have to have your foot on the gas to keep it going, you can do all sorts of crazy stuff like stand on your rocker panel and steer the truck in a vacant parking lot, at least im staring to screw around like that. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

man! you guys just answered my question in the other thread!! thanks. i love this place! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

highway--- hahaha lol omg are you kidding? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif can you say "none"? it's hurting at 90-100kph. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

i've never tried the standing and steering thing. the trucks only got v6. i'll give it a try next time i'm out. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

1:1 ratio. with 33 inch tires and 3.73 with my TH350(1:1 final as well, but slipping TQ converter) i could get mine to 10. stock suspension and scary as hell. motor was pepped up a bit.
    did it hold that speed well? NO, would i do it again, he he, YEAH.
    did my gas guage go down VERY FAST?? oh HE!! YEAH.
    do i advise it, hey, im not gonna awnser that.

so i think the same truck with the same stats only with a sm465 could do maybe 115 or 120 due to a non slipping converter. not the best thing in the world.
    Grant

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

With 4.56's and 36's and the SM465 my truck would pull 100+ mph at a conservative 4300 RPM. Now with the deisel and 39.5's it'll still do 90 mph. Keep in mind this is theoretical top speed, I don't think I'll ever try it out with TSL's that big.

The SM465 should have the motor spinning 5% or so slower than a TH350 or TH400 equipped truck while getting better mileage. There is no front pump sucking up horsepower and fuel and there is no convertor slip either.

Get a tach...I'd be surprised if the truck was doing much over 2700 RPM at 50.

Rene

7. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

When my '74 K10 had 3:42 gears and 35" tires, I know my truck could break 100 mph easily, and I got close to 15 mpg on the highway with a 305 V8. It was a dog though, took a while to get up to speed.

Now that I have converted to one ton axles with 4:10 gears, and my tire size is only LT235/75R16, I'm not sure I can break 100 mph, the gas mileage went way down, but she sure has more bottom end grunt! I'm happy with the gearing and SM465!

Keep in mind this 'lil 305 has a zillion miles on it, very little compression, and leaks/burns oil pretty bad. Your results may vary. Big block power coming soon!

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

When I had the 4 speed in my Blazer, it would easily rip over 100. The suggestion to get a tach is a good one. Especially on a manual setup.

9. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

I dont know what gears it has. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif it is the university truck. i looked in the glove box but i didnt know the codes and rear axel tag was gone. there was no marker on thw side that said 2500 or 3500. it could be either id bet on 2500. its on stock rims and tires whatever those are 30 ish. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif i forgot to mention that this truck was a diesel. i plan on 4.10's so we will have to see. the truck kicks down hard when you let off the gas. i am getting a 72 parts truck so i will yank the tach out of it. i never did like the big tach on the steering wheel. id be intrested to see what it was doing with a atch. might have to rig one up when the professor isnt there.

thanks /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

nathan /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. tRustyK5

Diesel, (prolly 4.10's) a 465 and 30"ish tires ain't a recipe for top speed. We bought a parts truck that was a one ton diesel 2wd recently and my buddy refused to drive over 50 MPH on the freeway...it had a TH400, 4.10's and 30" tall tires with a 6.2 diesel. He said it sounded like it was over revving by a lot but both his trucks are gas with overdrives and both are very quiet, so he wasn't used to the noise...

Rene

11. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

when i lived out in cali i had to keep up with the traffic on i-15,so i was goung at least 80-90 miles an hour on 35 inch tires and 4.10 gears.i also would not run it past 3000 rpm.so at 3000 i was about 80 mph or so.speedo not converted after mods so cant really be sure,just guestimating.

12. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    crazy stuff like stand on your rocker panel and steer the truck in a vacant parking lot,

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the 465/205 setup with 33's (soon going to 35s) and I have turned the truck loose on it's own while walking next to it and not steering. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I can tie the wheel to one side or the other and let it go in circles with no one in it. I live on 68 acres so it's not a dangerous thing... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

trustyk5

i think you are right on the noise part. actually thats the same thing my wife said. which was strange she only says uhhuh when i talk about the blazer. im just not used to that much racket.

chulishombre

thanks. i was just unsure if it could make it that fast. here i live way out in the country with flat roads so everybody flies. and i cant get passed /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif 4.10 and 35 was what i was going for so thats good to know. how did you keep it in the rad at that speed

did some checking overdrive is expensive so we will keep it 4 spped unless someone knows a chaep way.

also is this useful to anybody

transmission gears link

thanks

nathan /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

the only way i know of to use overdrive with a 465 is to put on some kind of klune unit to have an overdrive.

15. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

With a 465 you could put a "ranger" (by AA) od in front of it.

16. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I broke did 102.8 mph (according to my GPS)on Westbound I-80 out of Rock Springs, WY... That is with a TBI 350, 465 with 35's and 3.73 gears...Revs? I dunno, but the motor was hummin' /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I don't have a tach *yet* (sitting in the living room already mounted in the bezel) I don't think the motor had much more in it...Oh and it was slightly downhill too /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

fort collins ram

i am not gonna do that. the roads here suck i would be pleased with 65.

70k5

whats a ranger?

thanks

nathan

18. tRustyK5

Revs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Roughly 3900 RPM. At that speed the amount of air the truck is trying to push is the real limiting factor. You could prolly have done better with 4.10's and 33's, but realistically you'd need a cam with some bias towards the upper end of the scale. By 4000 RPM most TBI 350's are at their peak and don't have much more to offer.

rene

19. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

70k5

whats a ranger?

thanks

nathan

It's a under or overdrive box that goes between the bellhousing and the trans. Look here.
    Ranger overdrive PDF
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

whats a ranger

[/ QUOTE ]
    Its a small ford pickup, if you run over one someday and it happens to get /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif what the small bump and scraping noise is....... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif