Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

472 Caddy in my 67' K10

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1967k10, Nov 2, 2006.

1. 1967k10

1967k10 1/2 ton status

The time has finally arrived for a new motor. Mine is running bad{gutless too} and there is oil coming out the rear main and the dipstick :( .

Anyway I've got a good running 472 at my dispozal and need to know what I need to make it work. I know I need a BOP bellhousing and flywheel and will need the center hole in the bellhousing machined out. What do I need for motor mounts or a crossmember? I really don't want to have to completely fab one like I did for my brothers Cummins swap. Need this to be a quick swap so my rig isn't down very long. It'll have a 465/205 behind it.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

one snag....

No Caddy motor came with a manual tranny factory,so you'll have to drill the crank for a pilot bushing ,plus use a custom flywheel--I think one is available that has the pilot busing made into it....then you'll need to find a B-O-P bellhousing or blowsheild for a manual tranny and hog out the center hole,so the SM465 input shaft housing fits..

There is a lot of info on Caddy swaps on the net..here's a few places to start..

www.500cid.com

There are photos on how to make motor mount plates very simply if you google "78 Chevrollac",it will lead you to a guys website who did a swap,and has good info..googling "Caddy motor swaps" will bring up some other sites as well..many now sell custom oil pans,(so you wont have to hunt for an Eldorado rear sump pan),and many other parts like motor mounts,etc..

3. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

you don't HAVE to get a new flywheel for the swap. a guy on Pirate (jeepaholik) redrilled a chevy flywheel to fit on the caddy crank. caddy motors are neutral balanced like most chevy engines, so no other mods are needed.

4. 1967k10

1967k10 1/2 ton status

I have a bellhousing and flywheel found,just need ideas for a motor mount or just go back with another SBC :( .

5. diesel4me

not a hard swap really...

I've seen several trucks with 472 and 500 Caddy's in them recently..the "motor mounts" most guys used are simple flat stock plates about
    4"wide, x 9" long,bolted in place of the usual Chevy motor mounts right to the crossmember--then factory Eldorado motor mounts bolt to the plate..the
    "78 Chevrollac" web page shows how they fit..

Only other snags I've read about or seen is the oil filter may hit the front crossmember in the frame--an oil filter housing from a 77-82 425 cid caddy bolts right on,and has a sharper angle,that allows it to clear--or you can just use a smaller oil filter or notch the crossmember..most 73-87 trucks need the firewall seam where it meets the floor pan flattened with a BHF slightly,so the drivers side head wont rub there..

Other than needing the Eldorado rear sump oil pan (and custom flywheel if your going manual tranny),thats about all thats needed to stuff a caddy motor in a GM pickup..some guys I know with them say the original exhaust pipes for a 350 fit close to the stock caddy exhaust manifolds,but the flanges have different bolt patterns..

The only drawback to using a Caddy motor is--now you have the torque to BREAK everything behind it!..:rolleyes: :p:

6. 1967k10

1967k10 1/2 ton status

Breaking stuff is not a problem. I have only have 37"s and I have 1ton's. I may just have a SBC built cause I want need a quick swap so it's not down. I'll have to think it over.

7. diesel4me

That why my 500 is still in the shed...

I have a '76 500 Caddy motor and tranny in my shed--I almost put it in my 79 C10 when its 250 six expired,but decided not to due to lack of cash for all the other stuff I'd have to put in with it,like a bigger radiator,and all the "custom" fab work on motor mounts,etc..plus I kind of felt it a waste ,to put it in a 1/2 ton 2wd--it would be better used in a heavy ramp truck or other truck used for towing than that one..

So I just replaced the six with a 305 V8,and I had the swap done in 2 days,only spent 50 bucks on a new timing chain and oil pan for it...sometimes its bad enough just putting back what belongs there!..can't say I blame you for having second thoughts!...my motor probably should be rebuilt before using,it ran great when I yanked it 8 years ago,but has been sitting in dry storage since..I might sell it,I'll probably never use it,unless my 82 K20's 6.2 pops--even then I might just get another diesel--too many things different to make it a worthwhile swap for me...:crazy: