Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

$472 for a 9000# winch at 4wp

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by unick, Jan 7, 2004.

1. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

2. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Saw two in action and was not impressed. The price is good, but I'd rather buy a used 8274. $500 seems to be the going rate for used ones.

3. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Were the ones you saw 9000 or 12000? What was unimpressive about them?

4. bigjbear

They were the 9K IIRC, both were mounted on K5s. They were very slow and didn't seem to have the omph that my 8000 pounder does (I was running a junkyard alt, possibly from a motorhome, and an Optima yellow top that day. I don't know what the guys running the MM had, but at least one of them is on here so maybe they can chime in). They were also having some sort of problem w/ the selonid packs (or something else, this was almost a year ago, but deffinatly some sort of problem that required attention before each pull). As always YMMV.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I payed $610 for my E-12000 shipped to the door!

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

This is just my opinion, but i wouldn't give you a plug nickle for a MM winch. I used to work at Warn(maybe i'm biased, maybe not)but when I was working there, I was involved on the research team and had to help disect the MM's and Ramsey winches to have a look to see any advantages to help in changing Warn's. MM's in my opinion are a piece of sh!t, if your budget doesn't allow you to get a Warn, at least get a Ramsey, they are better than MM. I have the 8274 and will never own anything else /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

that may be true, but sometimes beggars can't be choosers and any winch could be better than no winch. SHould I get stuck I would rather have a MM hanging from my bumper than $472 sitting in my pocket waiting for the rest of the cash to buy a warn.

8. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

hell it looks weak and cheasy i bet it would only do 9000 with a bigger alt, and at a snails pace... my $0.02

9. bigjbear

[ QUOTE ]
    SHould I get stuck I would rather have a MM hanging from my bumper than $472 sitting in my pocket waiting for the rest of the cash to buy a warn.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Like I said a used Warn is better than a new MM. Once you put that new MM on your truck it is used.

10. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

You'll be sorry!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Biggest hood ornament Ive seen.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I personally think that my E-12000 has to be better than the M8000 I could have bought for the same money.

12. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Yeah, I have the E12000. It's monsterous. From the limited use I've had out of it, it's great, except for that freespooling issue.... gonna have to work on soemhting for that...

13. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Look at the HP rating of the MM winch. Pretty low when compared to a Warn. Also the gearing setup in a Warn is much better. MM makes the same winch they sell at Harbor Freights. My friend got one of those. The first time he used it it smoked when he applied power. The second one he got as a replacement pulled him 3 feet before it smoked /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I really miss my old 9000lb SideWinder winch I had mounted on my toyota. It would lift that thing up a tree /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

MM E 12000 has a 5.5 HP motor, 21.3 fpm no load 4.4 @ 12000 lbs

Warn M12000 has a 4.6 hp motor 30 fpm no load 3.86 @ 12000 lbs

Easy to see which one I picked at 1/2 the price. I'll let you know how it works when I get my bumpers. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

15. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Hummm...I didnt look at the 12000lb ones. I had been comparing the lower 8K ones before. I know MM makes them for the military so maybe the upper end ones are built better. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I have been giving them some thought too. dont know if its better to go a 12000lb type or a 8000 type and just use a pully at the other end to double the pull load.

16. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Here is something to consider.....

Get any winch you want...I have pulled a semi tractor(without a trailer) out of a ditch with my 8274 WITHOUT a double pull and it did not strain or bog down the winch what so ever. Its all in HOW you use the winch you have.

17. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

its gonna be biased, but if you just wanna see MM winches in action for free, you can go to their web site and get a free VHS tape or DVD that shows their winches pullin and stuff.

from what I have seen in various posts in here and on pirate, seems like people like the 12,000# one a lot more than the other MM winches...

j

18. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I think it is a pretty interesting video, it makes you stop and think about the load ratings on the cables.