Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

472 vs. 500...Opinions needed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dhdescender, Jul 16, 2003.

1. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    I've been offered a Caddy 500 with R/B heads (for propane) for 300cdn (about 200usd), good running engine. I can easily aquire a BOPC turbo 400 and swap tailshafts. I wanted to do auto, but drilling the crank and balancing a flywheel turned me off.

In all my searches through coloradok5, 500cid.com etc, it seems the 472 is a slighty better engine due to better mileage, and torque curve. I havent had any decent luck finding a good running 472 built for propane, however.

How much 'worse' will the 500 be compared to the 472? It's not as if I NEED the extra cubes or horses, but will I regret the 500 over the 472? I know I'll never get 20mpg out of the pigs, but I've heard 15 on the highway is reasonable even with 38's.

Thanks in advance for your input. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

tell me how your getting 15 MPG outta your big block motors. I'm getting 8 with a mild SBC 350

3. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

Caddies have the potential to get better mileage than most other big blocks or even many small blocks.

4. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I have heard the 500 was the better motor. I have seen enough good things on those motors that would make me try it out if the right deal came along....

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Caddies have the potential to get better mileage than most other big blocks or even many small blocks.

[/ QUOTE ]

you can't go throwing those statements around without some reasons or examples:

My rig will out wheel any tube buggy around

6. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

The cad500/472 was built to develope very large torque in the low RPM range much like a diesel and can pull much taller gear ratios without loss of power. The big heavy 70s cadillacs were no slouch at pulling away from a stop sign. Thats way they make such a good truck engine. Loooong stroke!

7. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

There are several people getting what we would call outstanding mileage from their Caddy motors....some of them are even members here....

An engine gets the best mileage running at it's torque peek, and those motors make their torque at a much lower RPM than any Chevy ever thought of. It all has to do with the bore/stroke ratio....

8. IronMan

IronMan 1/2 ton status

You don't have to rev the engine above 1,800 rpm to get your rig moving. Its making all its power below 2,200 rpm. Basically you dont have to give it much gas, so its not burning as much gas. I have a 500 cad for sale, all new parts. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

9. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

427 is a high revving big block, the 500 is expensive to rebuild and the heads probably suck flow wise since its really old.

10. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

you can't go throwing those statements around without some reasons or examples:

My rig will out wheel any tube buggy around

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry man, I don't know the reasoning behind it. I just know it from talking to people about them. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

11. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    [ QUOTE ]
    427 is a high revving big block, the 500 is expensive to rebuild and the heads probably suck flow wise since its really old.

[/ QUOTE ]

427? Dislexia? Did Caddy ever do a 427?

12. IronMan

IronMan 1/2 ton status

The cost to rebuild a caddy engine is only marginally more that a BB Chevy. And I think your getting a better quality engine for the money. Weight of a SB Chevy, better mileage, more horsepower, and a torque monster engine with a tabletop torque curve. The quality of the castings, and the way the assembled them is far superior to any other Big Block. All pieces were temperature stabilized and checked for clearances before being assembled. If you were to bore a 500 .030 over and up the compression, along with some head work, and other tweaks here and there, It would produce 500ft of torque idiling! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

13. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I really wish you were closer. We're looking for a good engine like that for our motor home.