Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

$477.24 for a sender!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shh...I'm hiding, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Shh...I'm hiding

Shh...I'm hiding Registered Member

Fuel pump on my 87 k5 went out last week. pulled it down to my mechanic and told him to replace the sender for the gas gauge while he had the tank out. He used gm parts:

fuel pump: 76.53
    Fuel filter: 18.04
    strainer: 8.22
    module: 53.02
    sender: 477.24
    labor: 175.00

with tax it was 852.13
    And if that wasnt bad enough, 2 days after I got it back the gas gauge gave out!!!! Its amazing what a guy (or gal) will go through for a truck.

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Fuel tank, sender, and in-tank pump for TBI cost me $30 from the yard...might want to investigate next time.

3. Shh...I'm hiding

Small town in wyoming. The yard here sucks a butt. Dont know of any remotley close to me. If i still lived in ca it wouldnt have been a problem.

4. uglyangelracing

uglyangelracing 1/2 ton status

LOL I just sent my 87 k5 to the junkyard this morning. It had a brand new setup in it. The guy took great care of everything but the body.

5. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

or ask other k5 members if they have any parts.... I just junked a 85 fullsize jimmy.... fuel system was there... 4wd axles, running boards.... :crazy:

6. Shh...I'm hiding

starting to feel a little slow... I will ask the group first next time!!!! Will become full member in next few days, cant wait to see pics and other forums.

7. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

me and k20 on this board replaced mine with brand new parts andf it all cost like 150, with a new sender, fuel pump, strainer etc. its not hard to replace.

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Looking at those prices, it would seem that your mechanic did some pretty serious bill padding. Most auto repair places buy their parts at a discount (due to the volume that they purchase) and then mark them up. Often by quite a lot!

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You can buy the sender new from gastanks.com (think thats right) for around $200.

Just saw the Delco TBI pump (EP386?) on sale for $30 at tviparts.com. No idea if they sell to private individuals though.

By the way, if thats the in-tank strainer, that comes with new pumps from Delco. And what module is he talking about? There is no "module" in the fuel system, certainly not in the tank.

10. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I would call and complain. Maybe even go down with a very large friend and complain... I just checked on Auto Zone's website and they sell them for $189.99!!!! Did the guy get a genuine GM part or through somewhere like Auto Zone? Another thing you could try is the BBB..... Adding to the cost of parts is ok when it's just a little bit, but thats ridiculous!!!!

Auto Zone prices:

Sender - $189.99
    Pump(w/strainer) - $40-$46(depends on brand and warranty)
    Strainer(which you already got, comes with every new pump!) - $7
    Filter - $9.99

Module????? I'd go back and demand to see what a module is and show you his reciept for it.. Never heard of one... And also ask to see his reciept for the sender..

This guy/shop is a scam artist!!!!!

11. the beast

the beast 1/2 ton status

You can also find used parts at places like car-parts.com. Also would have tried E-bay. Looking here first goes without saying, but you're new so we'll let it slide. :D

And any yard worth it's scrap metal would be connected to a data base with other yards and be able to get you one. Cost more than a pick & pull, but definately cheaper than new.

12. dyeager535

The TBI senders ARE quite a bit more pricey than the carbed senders (assuming thats what you changed based on your sig) but $477 even for the TBI one is insanely expensive, that sounds like GM's retail price.

13. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Heck you can go right down to the dealership and get a gm sender for a mere $325. (SLV GMC) You got screwed :eek1: :haha:

14. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

GMpartsdirect.com has a fuel pump for $38.26. Couldn't find a sender though...

15. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

hell i think LMC is high and they only want $100 for a TBI sender.

16. dyeager535

$100 for a (31 gallon?) TBI sender??

I haven't looked, but I've never seen a new one that low, no matter who it was made by! Better buy spares at that price.

17. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

There's a reason Autozone's are so much cheaper. I went through this when I had to replace my sender and the one from the stealership was going to cost close to $400. So I said "Screw it I'll buy the Atozone one". Well my mechanic said he wouldn't warranty anything he installed that came from Autozone...but I didn't care I thought I was getting a good deal. Turns out the Autozone pump uses an inferior rubber hose section in the sender that collapses when there's pressure in the system. Luckily we still had my old sender and replace the peice of hose....but that was after installing / taking out the tank (again). Obviously that is probably not the only inferior "cost saving" part in the assembly. Just thought I'de share :wink1:

18. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

And Gus Paulos is even cheaper :D

19. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Especially when you have someone to do all the work for you...:mad: ;)

20. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Yeah thats what I was gonna say. We got my moms 95 safari fuel pump and all replaced at the dealer for around 800 bucks.