Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

48" highlift worth $20

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LKJR, Mar 30, 2003.

1. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

48\" highlift worth $20

place here in town that sells just lots of junk, has a couple 48" highlifts in the back for like $25 or so. needs a handle if I remember right but that's not that bad. not sure if it needs a rebuild or not, if I remember they don't go down well w/o weight on them. is it worth it you think or should I just wait and buy a larger one.

2. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

Re: 48\" highlift worth $20

i would go for it. I just bought a 48" highlift for $50.

3. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

my concern is if it's gonna be high enough? with a 4" suspension lift on 36's is it enough? and If I remember right aren't the larger one's only like 60-70 bucks?

4. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

i picked up a 48" farm jack from harbor freight for about $30 it's just like a high lift. i got rid of it when i got my lift kit and got me a 60" hi-lift. www.4wheelparts.com has them for $59.95. and the 48" for $49.95 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, need the 60"-er for any decently tall fullsize rig... I take my 48" version everywhere i go, but i cant get my tires off the ground with it, especially on the rear end which is pretty flexy.

j

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Use the 48" hi-lift but weld a link of chain to your differential tube and one directly above it on the frame rail then if you need to lift the wheel off the ground attach a piece of chain between the two links so you don't have to lift all the suspension before the tire lifts off the ground. It will be much safer this way rather than trying to use a 60" hi-lift to lift all the suspension then the tire.

7. rick88blaze

i don't suppose you would have a pic of that setup or a diagram of somekind?

8. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

In a pinch you can wrap a chain around the frame and axle at rest then jack it up.

9. rick88blaze

ok, i'm stupid. now i realize that you guys are saying to chain the axle to the frame. i thought you were saying to tie the chain on to the hi-lift /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, i need to come up with a setup like that. btw, what size chain you guys use? just wanna be safe...

j

11. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    yeah, i need to come up with a setup like that. btw, what size chain you guys use? just wanna be safe...

j

[/ QUOTE ]
    Go get yourself a "truck chain" 5/16" rated for tieing loads down on a big rig flatbed trailer. It comes in 25' lengths normally. Take said chain and cut into 1 10' and 1 15' length. Then put slip hooks on the cut end. It'll have grab hooks on the other ends already. To jack the axle up slip the chain over the frame and around the axle and use the grab hook to hold the loop of chain together. By using a slip hook on the other end you can wrap it around something and have the chain tighten as you pull on it. Also the slip hook will fit the eye of a strap better.

12. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i got my 60" all cast for $60 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i got my 60" all cast for $60 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    The problem with jacking up without chaining the axle first is how high you have to jack the truck to get the wheel off and unstable it is hanging off the jack. I perfer to use a bottle jack for tire changing away from the house. I had a 60" HLJ till it was ripped off and will get another one as they have there uses.

14. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

I got mine for FREE..... Ex Girlfriend. Hey at least she was good for something /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -fLeXy K20

15. K5Redneck33

K5Redneck33 Registered Member

yea i'll tell ya what, i got my hi-lift for free too. i was riding my ATV around and looked over and there it was sittin up against a tree stump, it was the damnest thing too, it wasnt even rusted or anything. but, i wouldnt really buy a worthless one thats missing parts for that much. i duno where you are from but I work at rural king in evansville and we sell farm jacks for like 30 bucks, and highlift jacks for 40 bucks. its a pretty good buy. check it out if theres a rural king near you