Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

49" Iroks with a d60 and 14ff

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MudFlap, Oct 11, 2004.

1. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

49\" Iroks with a d60 and 14ff

I have a 89 Blazer with a stock 350 and 700r4 and 241 with a sye. I will probably be going to a 400/205 and either a beefed SB or a BB. I have a stock 14bff in the rear and a D60 in the front with 35 pline stubs and slugs, they are geared 4:56.

What does everyone think about how my drivetrain will handle 49" Iroks, for the street only (that is what I am planning even though I know that if I get the 49s I will take them off road too) and swapping to 44's when I go off-road.
    I see 44s on 10 bolts all the time so I figure that I will be good with 49's and even in Peterson's they pout the 49s on a Blazer with a d60 and 14bff and a big block and it survived (but it was light weight).

I will probably have to go ahead and step up to the 400 and I will probably need 5:13's too.

So what does everyone think and does anybody have any first hand experience with 49s on 1-ton running gear?

Thanks

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Re: 49\" Iroks with a d60 and 14ff

You will probably be ok on the street but off road you might start snapping axles, you will probably have to step up to stronger axle shafts.

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

49's on road and 44's off???? /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif Do you have back problems?? You will with trying to swap those around all the time. YOur axles will handle the 49's easily on road and probably would hold up just fine off for the mean time with a stock 350. You will find that you don't have the power or the gearing anyway. You might as well junk the rear 14BFF and look for a D70 because you need to go lower than 5.13's with 49's, even with a th400. I personally don't understand that one....It will cost a ton of money to actually make it work with 49's and it will be absolutely GUTLESS from light to light with those anvils hanging off the end of the axles.

(not meaning to offend anyone) if you are going for looks with 49's I think that is a little odd because IMHO anything bigger than a 40" looks just plain stupid on a short wheel base truck. Big tires belong in the mud, plain and simple. I've ran 35" boggers 75% of the time on the street so I can't talk alot but at least they werent $500+ bucks!

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

(not meaning to offend anyone) if you are going for looks with 49's I think that is a little odd because IMHO anything bigger than a 40" looks just plain stupid on a short wheel base truck. Big tires belong in the mud, plain and simple. I've ran 35" boggers 75% of the time on the street so I can't talk alot but at least they werent $500+ bucks!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Except for the fact that 49s make most rockpiles look like a joke. The comment big tires are meant for mud is really stupid from someone who doesn't mess with rocks. And the comment that you need lower than 5.13s I'd agree with, the comment that EVEN with a TH400 is really stupid. Th400 has higher gearing, if anything you will need MORE gear with one /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif. There is a buggy over on Pirate running 49s on dual 60s. Its doable but EXPECT breakage. Even with the best parts. Street sure I don't really see it happening unless you drive like me on the street. Shortest I've seen them under is a long bed single cab with rockwells that was like 120" wheelbase, so I can't comment there.

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Except for the fact that 49s make most rockpiles look like a joke. The comment big tires are meant for mud is really stupid from someone who doesn't mess with rocks. And the comment that you need lower than 5.13s I'd agree with, the comment that EVEN with a TH400 is really stupid. Th400 has higher gearing, if anything you will need MORE gear with one /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif.

[/ QUOTE ] Rocks mud what ever, I don't give a rip, they belong offroad. Happy? Don't know where you get off criticizing me about the th400. He WILL need lower than 5.13's with 49's or he will probably burn up the tranny eventually. Oh.... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

6. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

I doubt he'll burn up a decent built th400 but I would recommend swapping in a 4 speed that granny will help a lot getting off the line

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

before you think about buying the iroks, check with local lift laws since you will be driving it on the street. With 49's, you will NEED a big lift, or hardly any fenders. so the more lift you have, the higher it will be... etc.

8. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

I think that you will get tired of swapping them out, and it will brake off-road if you wheel w/ them. But also, I dont' think that the 4.56 will be sufficient (I have 4.56 & 44's, but have yet to test this set-up). Another thing that most people don't realize is that with a manual trans, you will need even more of a crawl ratio than you would need with an auto.

9. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

There are no lift laws where I live, I have about 11" of lift with fender trimming and a pretty flexy suspension. I now run 39.5 TSLs, but I will have a trim a fair bit more to run 44s off-road. I don't want to run the 49s off-road, because I don't want to worry about breakage, plus I will have to basically remove fenders to clear them.

I have seen 49s a shortbed chevy before and I think that it looked great. I will have to deal with changing tires, it is not that big of a deal.

I have a 465/205 in another Blazer that I own and I have thought about swapping it. For mostly dirt and mud, what would I be better running a 400/205 or 465/205? It seems that most people run auto's in mud trucks, but I have seen some mud trucks run manuals too, so what are yall's opinions?

I might really get flamed for this one, but what about running in low range on the street?

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

You cant run in low range on the street, its to low, you'd be going 10 miles per hour maybe?

11. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Don't know where you get off criticizing me about the th400. He WILL need lower than 5.13's with 49's or he will probably burn up the tranny eventually. Oh....

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that he was referring to the fact that the 400 has a higher first gear than the 700, not anything about its life expectancy.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate everybody's comments but I was asking whether you thought that it would look good or not, I was asking questions on a technical basis only.

Thanks

12. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

not to mention with the diamater difference in those tires you would be running a high risk of greanading your Diffs unless you unlocked your hubs

13. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Just buy them and run them. One ton gear is fine even off road, so you break something periodically....so what? You'll break SOMETHING offroad even if you go with rcokwells. I think 49" Iroks would be awesome. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

14. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You cant run in low range on the street, its to low, you'd be going 10 miles per hour maybe?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not completely true. With 4:56s and 49s, a 465 and low range on a 205, I will be turning about 2800 RPMs at 50 mph, I have a one ton crew cab, that doesn't turn much less RPMs than that and I doubt that with 49s I will want to go much faster than that.

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

If your just going to get the 49 iroks for looks, I'd suggest a smaller tire. For 500$ or so per tire, and whatever you have to do to make it safe, I PERSONALLY think its a bad idea...

16. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    not to mention with the diamater difference in those tires you would be running a high risk of greanading your Diffs unless you unlocked your hubs

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying that the 49s are that much difference in diameter from other 49s? Right now I can't unlock hubs, because I have slugs.

17. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

On the street the axles should do fine. I think you're biggest concern will end up being the driveshafts and steering. Depending on how much you lift it, it could really be a nightmare making the shafts work without vibration issues. With more lift (I see you have 11") you'll almost certainly need to go to with cross-over steering (if you don't already have it) since the max combination of steering correction components for a D60 in stock configuration is 9".

18. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If your just going to get the 49 iroks for looks, I'd suggest a smaller tire. For 500$ or so per tire, and whatever you have to do to make it safe, I PERSONALLY think its a bad idea...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah it would be just for looks (unless I feel that I can run them off-road without breaking too much stuff, which I am not too confident in since I have not wheeled 44 yet), I have no problems running 44s on the street too, I just think that it would be cool to have 49s.

19. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

I have about 9" supsension and 2" body lift. I already have crossover, hy-steer and hydro assist and a 1 ton HAD CV shaft in the rear with no vibrations.

20. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah it would be just for looks (unless I feel that I can run them off-road without breaking too much stuff, which I am not too confident in since I have not wheeled 44 yet), I have no problems running 44s on the street too, I just think that it would be cool to have 49s.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have that much money for tires, why dont you upgrade to some old 2.5T rockwells? Then you wont have to worry about snapping axles.