Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

496 no start

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k20, Jan 24, 2004.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Ok, had the new engine runnin last weekend, started setting timing and timin light died so was gonna finish this weekend. Well it wont run at all. THe plugs are getting gas soaked and its flooding out. Ive already swapped my plugs twice today, when i take one set out I clean em and dry em, but then after one start attempt they are soaked again. I have no clue what is the problem, all I know is that this morning it started but was only running on one bank, found one of the wiring harness grounds for the drivers side had come loose, hooked it, now both sides are flooding. This has the edelbrock mpfi upgrade for tbi trucks. The IAC, the TPS, the coolant temp are all new sensors. Also Ive tried to set the timing without a timin light today gone way retarded to way advanced and still no start. Only thing changed since last weekend is the starter. Thanks for any help. Chris.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You sure you have power to the distributor?

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

All the wires on the distributor are hooked, how would i check power to distributor?

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Disconnect the wire and use a test light or volt meter. You should have power to the distributor in both the run and start positions.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Disconnect the wire and use a test light or volt meter. You should have power to the distributor in both the run and start positions.

6. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Uh did you try just pulling one of the plugs and checking for spark?

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That's another idea...but I'm pretty sure there's no spark if all he's getting is wet plugs.

8. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I would have started with checking for spark and working from there. no spark? ck coil? and so on. What distributer are you running? MSD system? or other ignition upgrades? I am not familiar with your injection system.

9. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

im running this distributor

this coil I put a spark plug in the end of the wires and I got a very weak spark one time on plug #3, since then Ive got nothing. I had 2 spare coils sitting here and swapped them, still no spark. May try swappin in one of my 2 spare distributors tomorow unless I hear something better here. Anyone got a clue? im at wits end.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Make sure you have 12 volts at your distributor. Without power you will never get spark.

11. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

its too dark to see anything now, but in ur earlier post, what wire are you talking about? I have 2 wiring connectors, one comes out of a harness and the other goes to the coil. If you look at that link above u can see the 2 connectors, the small one is the one that goes to the coil. Thanks

12. bablazer73

I am not familiar with the Injection your using, But What computer are you using to drive it?

13. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

14. bablazer73

so as far as on board diagnostics, what can you use. can a snap on scanner, or similar still be used? or are we down to manual pinpoint daig with a DVOM? If basic cks end up having no spark. your gonna have to see if the coil is getting the signal You should be able to test that at the coil with a test light. If not, I was just wondering what would be checked next, and how?? Nice looking system though.

15. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I have always heard that once plugs were gas fouled they were dead, period. My understanding is that the porcelan(sp?) on the plugs absorbs the gas and never truly dry out.

Also, what are you using for an ignition 12 volt source? I see your truck is an 87 K20, I found out the hard way that not all of the harness has a full 12 volts. Some of the wires are 7 volts, etc.

Just my .02, good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

None of my wire hookups have been changed. This MSD setupd uses the original wiring hookups. Didnt have to change any of the wires. Also as far as diagnostic equipment, I got a paperclip..... I had never heard that about the plugs being dead from gas. The set that is out of the truck, once i cleaned em, dont smell of gas anymore.

17. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

it sounds to me like you have an ignition problem since the plugs keep getting soaked with fuel.. does it use an ignition module? a computer controlled one?? if so is it getting power? ignition relay maybe? fuse??

18. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

yeh it uses an ignition module, not sure on comp controlled, has electronic spark control so I would assume yes it is comp controlled. Where is ignition relay? Also would fuse be in fuse block, for some dumb reason never thought to look there today, will tomorow for the heck of it. Anything else?

19. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

i would check fuses and relays first, the ignition module relay should click on when the controller sees the crankshaft position sensor..

20. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

crankshaft position sensor.........wtf.......never heard of it, where does it go, or is it built into the distributor?