Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

496 Tear Down

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shawn, Aug 3, 2003.

1. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Well, its taken forever to get this sucker out and find out what the problem was. I was a little bummed with the engine going south so I just let the K5 sit in the garage and started to play with the Trans Am (untill I blew that engine up). Needless to say, it's been a bad year for engines. This engine was also the 5th to let go. Who holds the record for the most engines installed anyway??? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

K5 engine history:
    1st- 350 stock, not enough power...
    2nd- 383 sbc, lost pickup tube and pressure, no gauge
    3rd- Used 454, lost mains
    4th- Reman 454, not enough power for a BBC
    5th- Stroked 496, lost rod bearing
    6th- 540 coming soon...

The 496 was making a loud knocking noise along with loud squeeking. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Metal shavings in the oil big time. I was pretty sure it was a bearing. Sure enough, tour the engine apart and found #5 with a trashed bearing. Next to it, #6 didn't look that great either.

Normal bearing on left, #6 in the middle, and #5 on the right:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Crank:
    [​IMG]

Few of the mains were scored a little. Looks like metal shavings went through all the mains,

I'm not sure what caused this but I think it may be from the piston rings not being set correctly. The engine shop screwed that up and now I have grooves in my cylinder walls. I'm thinking the metal shavings from that could of destoyed that bearing. What do you guys think?

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I think I'd look for a different engine shop /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

3. Shawn

[ QUOTE ]
    I think I'd look for a different engine shop /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Trust me, if I do see those guys again, it will be in court. They only did the 496, not the others. I was thinking small claims since they won't do anything but I wasn't sure how this holds up it court. The engine maybe has 4-5k on it.

4. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Sorry bout the engines man, I remeber you talking about the shop screwing the rings when I was in Denver a few months ago. Did you ever get your supercharged or whatever it was from the other shop? You seem to have bad luck with shops eh?

Maybe it's time to get a crate and dump your FI on it eh? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Warranty!

Nice to hear from you again, even in passing

5. Shawn

Went to small claims over the supercharger. They are paying me back in payments now. Turbo kit came in though. Just have to leave the nitrous alone...

Crate would be nice. Thought about the ramjet 502 but $8500 is a little steep along with the ZZ502 which is $6500.

Email me. ORC changed to a IMAP system and I lost tons of email. Take care RJ.

6. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

I just helped a buddy of mine swap the 15th engine into his old woods truck. But hes harder on gear than i am. He has to have a dana 60 and 14 bolt with 7.50-16's cause he was breaking so much.

7. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

What are your plans on the 540 and how much power are you wanting to get out of it? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

8. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Shawn which shop did the machine work?

9. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Ouch !

Did they assemble the engine ?

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Wow Shawn, that just sucks! Looks like grounds for justifiable homicide to me. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Hmm, but I'm thinkin' that if the 496 is out of the engine bay, then I need to plan a trip to your place to pick up some headers... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

11. Shawn

[ QUOTE ]
    What are your plans on the 540 and how much power are you wanting to get out of it? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Streetable (trail friendly) 540, nothing radical. According to Dyno2000, looks like another 50hp and 50tq over the 496. It will have forged pistons with H-beam rods so nitrous is possible.

[ QUOTE ]
    Shawn which shop did the machine work?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Western Engine in Denver did the short block which included cleaning, magnafluxed, boring, deck surface, balancing, line honed and assembly.

[ QUOTE ]
    Ouch !
    Did they assemble the engine ?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yes, just the shortblock though. I did the rest.

[ QUOTE ]
    Wow Shawn, that just sucks! Looks like grounds for justifiable homicide to me. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Hmm, but I'm thinkin' that if the 496 is out of the engine bay, then I need to plan a trip to your place to pick up some headers... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    I was pretty upset being stranded in Moab when this happened. Yep, the headers are waiting for you. Since my TA is in the shop, they gave me a rental. Good reason to put miles on it and come down. PM me or give me a call 303-683-6673.

12. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    so nitrous is possible

[/ QUOTE ]

Is nitrous possible with the MPFI system that you're running? I'd like to know how you will do this, becasue it would be awesome to add a 75-125 shot for the Jimmy /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

13. Shawn

My Holley Commander 950 software has a part for nitrous. It can control fuel additive, timing, min. RPM and min. TPS. This is good if you want to stay with a dry setup. If you don't have this, a wet shot of nitrous will do the trick. It just manually adds the fuel and nitrous.

14. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Harry,

I've got a set of used header for free. Just come & pick em up /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. WhiteWhomper

WhiteWhomper 1/2 ton status

Kinda makes one long for the stock low power 350 days....

16. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Are they for a small block or big block? Shawn brought me a sweet set of Doug Thorley headers for my 454 today. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif But hey, I can always add more free junk to my collection... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

17. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Shawn,

What brand of Bearing were those? I had a similar looking rod bearing in my 406 Pontiac I built for my dragracer. The bearing looked real similar to that one.

Like yours, I had zero noise until it let go. I was driving at 60 mph at about 3200 and noticed a quick loss of power, then a knocking noise. I shut it down and pulled into a driveway. It overheated instantly. Got home and pulled the motor right away. It was still hot when I rolled it over on the engine stand. The offending rod was basically welded to the other rod sharing the journal.

My bearings were speed pro. They are Junk.

18. Shawn

[ QUOTE ]
    Kinda makes one long for the stock low power 350 days....

[/ QUOTE ]
    NEVER!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    Shawn,

What brand of Bearing were those? I had a similar looking rod bearing in my 406 Pontiac I built for my dragracer. The bearing looked real similar to that one.

Like yours, I had zero noise until it let go. I was driving at 60 mph at about 3200 and noticed a quick loss of power, then a knocking noise. I shut it down and pulled into a driveway. It overheated instantly. Got home and pulled the motor right away. It was still hot when I rolled it over on the engine stand. The offending rod was basically welded to the other rod sharing the journal.

My bearings were speed pro. They are Junk.

[/ QUOTE ]
    They were Clevite 77 bearings which are suppose to be good bearings.

19. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Harry,

The are for a BBC. One is brand new and two are used /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. The reason for three is one got smashed due to the D60. Let me know.

BTW, you wouldn't happen to have a set of BBC exhaust manifold would you. Ideally one with the O2 sensor, but I'll make due. Also, you should stop by my house and check out my mess anyway. This is my last weeke of quiet before I go get my kids this weekend.

20. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Ive had good luck with Clevite. Did you look at the back of the bearing to see if they were Clevite? Just curious. This might make a court case even better if you have evidence that they didnt' use what was promised.