Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

49s on a dana 60 ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by willymonster, Mar 14, 2006.

1. willymonster

willymonster 1/2 ton status

does anybody know of someone running 49s on a 60 ? it should be able to handle it but like to hear some opinions from seeing it first hand ? also anybody seen wheel adapters so i could run my rockwell rims on a 60 ? i have some 49s on double beadlocks that i would like to juggle back and forth between rigs :confused:

2. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

I've SEEN 60's on a stock S-10 axle, but I wouldn't recommend it... Same for 49's on a D60... it can be done, but I wouldn't recommend anything larger than 44s on a D60. Then again, they do make a Michelin Military tire that is 46 inches tall and a 16 inch rim, so I guess you COULD do it if you really wanted to.

3. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

A buddy of mine ran 49's on a 60 on his mud bogger and to my knowledge never had any issues with it

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah and guys who run 46s on Dana 60s expect breakage even with 35 splines and such.

5. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Depending on how you plan to use it you will probalbly have issues. I remember TTC winner brian Waddel(sp?) saying that he had a tough time keeping his 60 together with 44 boggers. He said hed go through 2 or 3 r&p sets a year. If you check out pirate4x4.com and post this youll probbly get the same thing im telling you. If all your doing is strait mud boging you could get away with it for a while i would geuss, but if your doin actuall ard core tail runnin you WILL brake.*keep in mind i speak only from what ive read and heard not from actuall first hand experience*

6. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I wouldnt do it.
    You WILL need Superior shafts and CTM's, nothing less. Then once you stop busting axles your R&P is your next weak link and they arnt exactly "strong" once you get to that size.
    All this is assuming that you actually wheel your truck with lockers etc.

If you just want it to look cool for those mall crawling days, sure it will hold.

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Is this a heavy duty trail truck or a truck more for light duty wheeling and street use? If it is a heavy duty wheeler then you will probably want to start looking for some Rockwells and look at beefing them up if you plan to abuse the truck with 49's offroad.

Harley

8. willymonster

willymonster 1/2 ton status

well i was afraid of hearing that, just trying to get out of buying another pair of shoes . the truck is going to get the hell beat out of it!!!:haha: its a shortbed chevy frame 454 and a 1947 dodge power wagon body , im going to keep the front fenders off so i do believe upon hearing more opinions ill stay with 40s or maybey get some 44s. thanks for the advice :laugh:

9. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Since you are looking for several opinions I 'll throw in my $.02 worth . Beating the truck with that diameter tire is going to be severe on a D60 front axle . Even if you do the 300M cool axles along with slugs and a spool the R/P will surely die before expected every time.
    I think you could go with a smaller taire and keep on beating it like you stole it with little to no worries.

Tom

10. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I've seen Rockwells break with 49s. It was extreme use, but the guy said it had happened a couple of times to him.