Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4ga. starter wire fire!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Mar 17, 2002.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

On the trail the other day... and just when we thought we would head home after hour and a half of wheeling, my truck dies? The other guy with me (in a Heep) hops out and starts splashing water from the ruts I was in onto the starter!!!

The headers cooked off the sheathing from the wire, and it shorted out to the engine block. Went home, got the tools, spare starter cable, and was back on the road within 20 minutes. (pulled the starter, pulled the old cable, installed new cable, and bolted the starter up.)

MY QUESTION is this... does anyone know of anything that I can use to keep the heat off that wire??? I can't afford to cook another wire while on the trail. Something just for this would be cool. have already thought of header wrap, but I was thinking of something more JUST for electrical stuff... oh yea, and tell me where I can buy it too. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Thanks all!

-Dan

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I know what you mean by the amount of space under the headers and the wire running close by.
    I can't remember right off the bat what I did on mine to make it clear.
    I do remember buying new 1 guage battery cables and routing the positive cable close to the oil pan to clear the header.
    If I can remember right, (it's been about 5 years I worked on that cable - good thing never had trouble with it again!) I think I tied the wires to the cable running right by the oil pan. Just used regular cable ties.
    Guess there is no real solution to this problem. Just have to work with it and make it fit, etc. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I have spark plug insulating wrap on mine, and still looking for something better. Can get spark plug insulation almost anywhere I think.

4. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

The factory routing on my '87 motor brings the wire out the front, between the header tube for the #2 cyl. and the oil pan (not sure if this how yours is or not). Seemed to work OK.

Another idea (though not a solution) is to use an external solenoid, this way the wire in question is only live when cranking. Makes it a lot easier to pull the starter, too (only 1 wire, and it's not live--don't have to disconnect the battery).

Pete

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

How are your wires run now? Not sure how mine are *supposed* to be run, but (off some stock setup I scrounged it from), comes up the oil pan to the very front of the pan, (using cable clamps that are held on by oil pan studs) and then jumps over to the frame (another clamp here) and then up to the battery.

When I imagine a set of headers, I imagine them "swept back" from the number two cylinder, so the way mine was run, unless the #2 primary pipe came straight down, would work fine.

6. I replaced all my primary cables with 1/O cables and wrapped the starter cable with aluminum tape and ran it back the way the factory cable came out. Your cable probably routes the same as mine. I kept it as far away from the manifold as I could. I havent had a hot start yet. You should be able to get the tape from Home Depot or some place like that. I got mine from Uncle Sam. If you want a picture of what mine looks like that wouldnt be a problem.

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Krazie,

Close call....! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

Check out the Summit catalog.....they have a bunch of different heat-shielding sleeves....some for headers, some for spark plug wires, and some miscellaneous sized stuff. I'm sure something they've got will fit. Just slide one over the wire, then crimp, solder and "shrinktube" your connectors on the ends. You'll be good to go.....and no more ELECTRICAL EXCITEMENT!

ps. You sorta had an "on-board welder" thing going on there....! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

8. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Yea... too bad it was trying to weld the 2 terminals of my battery to my engine!!! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

9. Parf

Parf Registered Member

You could always look for some wire (cable) rated at 400 Degrees Celcius. I think its sheathed with teflon or tefzel insulation. Just a thought.

10. A&P

A&P Registered Member

I don't know if this is such a good ieaa, but I'd just get some 5/8 ID heater hose and use it as a sacrificial sleeve near the heat. Oh well, just my .02
    -Ben