Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4Hi doesnt engage after body lift UPDATED!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudNurI, Dec 27, 2001.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Your help is needed----

When I bought my truck I knew 4 HI didn't engage- it use to, before the body lift was done- but now it doesnt...John has no idea's... and I am totally lost. Other than cutting up my floor which I really dont want to do- what can I do? A longer shifter? the boots sit perfectly on the floor like they are suppose to, even when I try 4Hi, but no luck engaging it-- For those of you with body lifts, what did you do? please try to be a little "descriptive" in your replys,, I'm still learning this lingo thing you all have! Thanks!

UPDATED----

I just got reply from Stephen- he has something to work with the 1" but not a 3" -- I need someone who has the 208- that has a 3" body lift, how did you correct the 4Hi engaging problem????? someone has to have this combination!!
    --Brandy

LOVING the new Duramax!!!<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by MudNurI on 12/28/01 09:24 AM.</FONT></P>

2. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

Re: 4Hi doesnt engage after body lift what do I need?

are you rolling slowly forward when you try to shift? my NP205 can be cantankerous, and slowly rolling forward (let truck start rolling, pull stick to 4 hi, or let truck start rolling, put neutral, and shift 4 lo) can often help it mesh up properly. I wouldn't think that the body lift would interfere with the shifter at all, but who knows...

as usual, I don't always know what I'm talking about, and this is just what works on my truck... if someone else more authoritavely comes on and gives a better answer, I'd say follow that.

good luck with it,

-Rich

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue>

3. big75jimmy

big75jimmy Registered Member

Re: 4Hi doesnt engage after body lift what do I need?

You will need to cut the shifter hole a little bit. On every truck I've put a body lift on I had to cut a small hole for the shifters. Cut it as small as possible to keep the shift boot.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

208 folks with body lift. come let us know what it took

Brandy. When posting these type of questions please besure to post some details about the vehicle. According to your bio you have a truck that is equipped with a 208. The first two responces are wrong. You should not need to cut the floor. They are correct solutions for 203 and 205 truck were the shifter is mounted off the tranny. The 208 shifter is solid mounted to the floor and connects to the case via a link. Depending on the amount of lift your truck has it maybe as simple as readjusting the shift linkage. If your running a lot of body lift you may need to fabricate a new linkage with and extra bend in it like a drop drag link. Lots of body lift will put the linkage an an angle and reduce the amount of travel it is able to produce. A drop style link should regain the travel.
    One thing that a body lift may cause on your set up is when the truck is twisted up the body is moving a lot more than it was without a body lift and it may have more of a tendancy to pop out of the selected range as a result.
    Somebody with a body lift on a truck with the same case should be able to tell you what they had to do to correct for the lift. Both my trucks run 203's so never ran into the issue your having.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

5. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Re: 208 folks with body lift. come let us know what it took

sorry about the lack of information, see I have no idea what I'm doing- I just asumed that every transmission was the same-

The linkage your talking about is something that I can get just about anywhere? please don't tell me I have to "fabricate" it... I have a 3" body lift-
    One question Grim- what do you mean "when the truck is twisted up the body is moving" my truck doesnt go anywhere it could get twisted- do you mean when the lift was installed? sorry for all the questions- I'm still learning-
    thanks for the help

--Brandy

LOVING the new Duramax!!!

6. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

when doing a body lift, don't you have to extend the linkage?

<font color=blue>What part of my brilliance do you not understand?</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>

7. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I didn't do the body lift- it was in it, the guy I bought it from, only said- 4Hi wont engage, but I know it has before the body lift- which is why I believe it had to do with the body lift-

--Brandy

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Brandy, the shifter on your truck is bolted to the floor. The transfer case is bolted to the frame. The body lift increased the distance between those two items by 3 inches. So now the linkage between the shifter and transfer case isn't long enough. You'll need to have someone make the linkage long enough to move the shift mechanism on the transfer case far enough to engage 4-Hi. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

9. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Usually the kit comes with an extention that you just have to have welded in. He prolly didn't know what it was and threw it out.

<font color=blue>Answers: $1, Short: $5, Correct: $25, dumb looks are still free.</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>

10. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Harry- when can you come over? what can I expect this to cost me $$? do I need to find a shop that does this stuff? There isn't much for choices around here-- anyone wiling to drive up to VT, I'll supply the beer- if you can help me! LOL Im not into fabricating anything to be quite honest- I don't have tools, or know-how to do it even if I wanted to. Is this something I can get at like summit? or no way, need to build it? thanks guys- has anyone got a link to somewhere that tells me exactly what this will entail? Again, thank you !!!

I don't think he didnt know what it was and through it out, I believe he didnt have one to begin with- he's quite a "truck guy"... I could have asked him more in detail, just didn't.... he was busy swapping the 3/4 for the 1/2 at the time he mentioned it--

---Brandy

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Hmmm, mapsonus.com says that it's 1,663 miles from Colorado Springs to Burlington, Vermont. That would cost you a LOT of beer. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

12. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Call Stephen at ORD and see if there is a extended link available. He can get you hooked up and will know just what to do.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

13. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

ahhhhh but Harry- i'm just north of the Mass line- 2 1/2 hours south of burlington--- see its closer than you think LOL!!

thanks Grim- I'll send him off an email this evening- I knew you guys could help me..

--Brandy

14. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I live in Hatfield, MA. (about 25 mins. from the VT/NH border going up 91). If you need a hand let me know (I may not be available until after the first, but would be willing to help after that). Let me know.

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot> click here </a>

15. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Hatfield- home of C&amp;S distribution center! LOL cool-- I sent an email to Stephen, I hope he can come up with something, or point me to the right direction. Where were you when we swapped the axles? J/K... I'll let you know what we come up with. After the 4Hi problem is resolved, all that is really left is the cosmetic stuff- interior, nerf bars and brush guard reinstalled, etc... It's cool to find someone even closer to me!..the closest one I had found so far was hotstuff (jim) and he's in on the eastern side of Conn. about 3 hours from here.
    thanks again!
    --Brandy

16. Leadfoot

Yup, C&amp;S is about 3/4 mile from my house, and I met Jim (HotStuff) this past spring when I picked up a spare tranny from him (cool guy). Well let me know how you make out, I don't mind helping a fellow member (or anybody for that matter, it's just cool to meet somebody who you see online from time to time), plus as you say there aren't many of us in this part of the country.
    P.S. How do you know about C&amp;S? Hatfield is a small town, so it's weird to find people who have actually heard of it.

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot> click here </a>

17. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

C&amp;S, was actually started in Brattleboro- 20 minutes from here, the guy I bought the K5 from drives for Bratt Haulage, out of Hatfield.. I think Hatfield is about the same size as Bellows Falls, you blink and its gone-

I heard form Stephen- i edited my original post, looks like he wont be able to help me, so now I'm in search of someone withthe 208, with body lift, that had to fix it- or else Im gonna FREAK!

--Brandy

18. Leadfoot

Well, I imagine all it would take it to use the existing linkage as a template and create a similar linkage with a 3" rise/drop in it so that the angles (and consequently for and aft movement) are the same as when it was stock. I have never done it before, but I have modified my 205 shifter for the longer tranny and it wasn't that hard. I have the tools (and some fabrication knowledge and ability), and what tools and knowledge I don't posess, my friends do (one good thing about living in a small "farm" town), most people do their own repairs and have the tools for doing just about anything (even fabrication work). Let me know how it goes and if you need help, I would be willing to lend my services (and I'm sure my friends could help if I were unable to).