Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4HI with diff ratios Q

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lowlevell, Dec 7, 2000.

1. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

Earlier this year i replaced my grenaded rear 10 bolt with a FF14.I was hoping i would be able to get the front44 rebuilt and put in by winter,this doesnt look like its going to happen and the snow is already here.I now have 4:10 in my rear and 3:42 in the front.My question is,if im slipping on the pavement or anywhere for that matter is it safe to go ahead and use 4HI as long as both axles are slipping?Example:my apartments unplowed parking lot.Then i would simply put it back in 2HI once i found traction.Is doing this going to be OK?

lowlevell(still waiting on my boss to bring me his 69 r/t charger 440mag =) )

One From None

2. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I dare not give advise on this one. But in the snow, If I were in your shoes I'd probably do it. But no longer than I'd have to. But, anybody else. RENE, your up there in snow country. What do you think???? Anybody else???

I miss my Ex, but my aim is getting better!
    http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com

3. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

personally i think your asking for trouble. The inately different stresses between the front and the back must take their toll. And if you happen to get traction, you'll surely weaken if not blow something up. I would actively pursue the proper gearing, slap it in and only then drive around..be careful.....js

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Ummmm we haven't had more than a weeks worth of snow in over 3 years here. Hopefully we'll get some this year.
    As far as 3.42's in the front and 4.10's in the rear, some mud racers like that set-up, it supposedly it helps keep the truck straight. I would only do it in the deep stuff if I wasn't making any progress in 2WD, and definitely nowhere near bare pavement! Try throwing a couple of bags of sand in the back of the truck, this will help traction.

Rene

[​IMG]

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Ya, i would only do it if you have to!!

"Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!!!!"

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

If you are in a situation where the back tires are spinning alot or you are getting stuck, it shouldn't hurt anything.

7. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

Yes this is exactly what im trying to ask here=)I believe it will be ok as long as the tires are slipping.This is a Suburban we are talking about here.I would hate to pay a tow truck to pull my 4x4 out of a ditch=/

One From None

8. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Hey 6.2, I will be in Columbus this weekend with my Brothers truck again, want to go wheelin?

LOL He would castrate me! :)

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

9. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i would not do this unless you absolutly had to.

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

10. JimmyDie6.2

Don't 4x4 unless you absolutely have to. That's really good advice. 6.2----do you mean me emmit????.....js

11. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

He's talking to 6.2 Blazer. He is about an hour from Columbus Ohio. Wish I could go. Its about 5 hours for me though. But I have no tires.

I miss my Ex, but my aim is getting better!
    http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com

12. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

make sure you can guarantee that there is slip AT ALL TIMES!!...their should be no problem. i used to have 410s in the rear and 308s in the front, used to drive on sand dunes all the time. i actually believe i was doing better than when i had matching 410s. now i have matching 308s, for the highway.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

13. JimmyDie6.2

woops........I 'm on long island anyway......when I read 6.2 I get all happy............js