Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4High not working

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by outsider223, Oct 1, 2002.

1. outsider223

outsider223 1/2 ton status

I finally got my new tires yesterday, 33" BFG All-Terrains. Decided to see what they could go through, and realized that my 4 high doesn't seem to be working. I have a NP203 x-case with the stock auto hubs. Is there an easy way to test to see if 4 high is really gone? Thanks.

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

put it in 4hi and have someone look under the truck and see if the front driveline is turning if it is its the crappy auto hubs /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

An NP203 is always in 4WD unless it's been coverted to part time operation. The 203 also never came with "auto hubs". The axles were always connected to the wheels. Did someone convert your 203 to part time and then install a set of factory auto hubs from a later model truck?

4. outsider223

Took a good look at the blazer with a friend this afternoon. The front driveshaft turns with 4 high, but the front wheels don't want to turn. Although in 4 low, the front wheels turn just fine. So, it must be that the hubs are crap /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Thanks

5. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

I would say in that case it would be something wrong with the transfer case.

6. HarryH3

If the front wheels pull just fine in 4-Lo, then the hubs are working. And if the hubs are locked, then the front driveshaft will turn, even in 2WD. Sounds like your transfer case isn't shifting into 4-high. Have you done a body lift recently or made any other mods? Perhpas the shifter is hitting the hole in the body before it puts the case into 4-high.

7. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

It more then likly is the linkage.. I just went through this with mine... Best thing to do is go buy a chiltons.. 203 are the only T-case that has adjustable linkage and they need to be adjusted. When you do some work on the truck.. It is a pain to adjust also.. If you don't want to go buy a chiltons PM me.. I will scan that part for you..Dan /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. outsider223

I dropped the transfer case 1" when I put my suspension lift in a couple of months ago. But thats the only change that would affect the transfer case.

9. gokartergo

That will affect the linkage.. That is the problem.. Those things have to be set just right. And moving the T-case will do it..Dan /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. outsider223

Thanks, that would have taken me a long time to figure out myself. Just curious, if the linkage is wrong, which causes 4 high to not work, how does 4 low still work?

11. gokartergo

It is in the shifter.. Mine wouldn't go in to 4 high also.. If you follow the lingage back to where it goes into the T-case.. When it is in nuetral both of those have to be straight up and down.. The one on the outside is for high/low the inside one is for 4x4.. On the shifter itself.. Put that in nuetral and you will see a small hole on the side.. Put a nail or a 11/64 drill bit throught it.. That is true nuetral.. Then look at the linkage.. If it is off even 1/8 of inch that will cause the problem.. You have to adjust it so they are straight up and down.. You will probaly have to drop the front of the drive shaft to get to it.. I just did this last weekend and Grim Reaper and Chiltons taught me.. Have fun.. Like I said if you want PM me and I will scan the instuctions for you..Dan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. gokartergo

I just read you profile.. It says you have a 87 K5.. You sure you have np203 t-case.You should have a NP208 in it. If so then disregard all that about the linkage on the NP 203. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

13. HarryH3

Aha! The 208 has the shifter afixed to the floor of the truck, so lowering the t-case would mess up the linkage for sure, as it alters the distance from the shifter to the t-case. Just make the linkage from the shifter to the t-case a tad longer and all should be well. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

14. outsider223

I honestly don't know for sure what transfer case is in it. So i had some guys at our school's club look at it. They said it looked like a NP208. Does this tranfer case still have an adjustable linkage?

15. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Yes the 208 has adjustable linkage.

16. gokartergo

Yes but it is diffrent then the 203..