Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4in lift on a Blazer/Jimmy Q's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cuervo, Jan 3, 2004.

1. cuervo

cuervo Wears Boob Goggles! Premium Member

4in lift on a Blazer/Jimmy Q\'s

I've heard that you have to lower the transfer case on this lift?

I was wonder if any one has done one of these and what was really necessary. I figure I would be better off getting new longer drive shafts.

Which brings me to another point. What is involved with changing from a strap type to ubolt type drive shaft mount on the rear end?

Thanks for any help.
    Cuervo

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Re: 4in lift on a Blazer/Jimmy Q\'s

Every lift/rig is different. You are correct in assuming that just because it is installed, you are not finished.

Some fine tuning is always required. Dropping the T Case has worked for some people, and is really no big deal to do. My 'Burb needs longer d shafts with my 4" lift install, and that is the route I am going with.

Converting the straps to u bolts , I think, would be as simple as getting the U bolts and making them fit. This might require slight drilling of the original threaded portion of the yolk. I am sure more comments will pour in here....

3. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

Whats the advantage of changing the straps for the u-joint?

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Whats the advantage of changing the straps for the u-joint?

[/ QUOTE ] The u-bolt style is supposedly a little stronger than the straps because it goes all the way through the yoke. I think he would be better off just trying to find a different yoke that has the u-joint style. I tried to do that swap with my 14BFf but it wouldn't work with the strap style yoke so I just left the straps, I don't think the u-joints are much of a neccessity especially if your not doing some seriously tough wheeling. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

I didnt like the angle on my u-joint after the lift install so I dropped the xfer case. If the angle is too severe, it will cause vibrations. I didnt try mine in the stock position, I just lowered it and maybe someday Ill go with a CV syle shaft. This was by-far the easiest mod I did. Remove the xfercase skidplate, place a floorjack under the case to just support it, Remove the 4 crossmember bolts (the ones that have the spacers), lower the xfercase alittle so you can re-locate the spacers from under the crossmember to between the member and the frame and bolt up.

Thats it. Some like to replace the spacers with a block instead to distribute some of the load. Not a bad idea, but not sure how necessary.

Good Luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. cuervo

I've heard, and seen once, where the straps failed with just little ol 33s' on it. I figured if it was just a matter of drilling out the threaded part then it would be a simple upgrade. I was just hoping to come across someone that had done the conversion before.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That strap you saw fail was most likely not tightened correctly. I run the strap style on my 14 and haven't had any troubles.

The U-bolt style can actually be over-tightened which deforms the U-joint cup causing premature failure. The strap style the bolts can be tightened to yeild if that's what you want to do and the U-joint cup will still not deform.

Rene

8. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    place a floorjack under the case to just support it, Remove the 4 crossmember bolts (the ones that have the spacers), lower the xfercase alittle so you can re-locate the spacers from under the crossmember to between the member and the frame and bolt up.

Thats it. Some like to replace the spacers with a block instead to distribute some of the load. Not a bad idea, but not sure how necessary.

Good Luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well thats what I thought too Chuck when I put my spacers on the bottom of the lip on the frame.
    A few months later my frame cracked right there where the spacers and 4 bolts are.
    What I did was took some heavy guage flat bar and clamped it on the inside of the frame on the bottom frame lip, drilled the holes through the flat bar on both sides, used grade 8 bolts with huge body washers against the frame and nut to help distribute the weight.

I would strongly suggest getting the drop kit from superlift or someone that includes a block or you could windup like me with a cracked frame. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Chuck, I would check your frame to make sure it isn't cracked.

9. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    That strap you saw fail was most likely not tightened correctly. I run the strap style on my 14 and haven't had any troubles.

[/ QUOTE ]
    ditto

10. cuervo

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    ditto

[/ QUOTE ]

How thick are those spacers? What about using some solid thick aluminum blocks with grade 8 hardware?

11. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]

How thick are those spacers? What about using some solid thick aluminum blocks with grade 8 hardware?

[/ QUOTE ]
    That is perfect if you can find some aluminum blocks. They have to be drilled out to match the holes on the crossmember and frame though and unless you have a drill press and good fab skills that won't be very easy.

12. 88Silverado

Yes, I planned on upgrading that mounting point at a later date. Maybe I'll get to it sooner now. I would really like to get the case back to normal position. Dont know if shimming down the pinion with stock shaft will work. Still a pretty steep angle at the case. Probably need CV shaft to do it right /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

13. cuervo

That brings up a good question. Is it the length of the drive shaft or the angle of the drive shaft that makes it necessary to lower the Tcase?

I would think a combination of both at this point. So if you shim the rear end angle and get longer shafts would this do away with the need to lower the Tcase?

If I'm going to do this, I want to do it correctly the first time.

14. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

The U-bolt style can actually be over-tightened which deforms the U-joint cup causing premature failure. The strap style the bolts can be tightened to yeild if that's what you want to do and the U-joint cup will still not deform.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree, Just my $.02, but.... I run straps on my (denny's) aftermarket 1350 yoke on a 800 horse race car with no problems. I don't hesitate to run them on my truck.

15. cuervo

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree, Just my $.02, but.... I run straps on my (denny's) aftermarket 1350 yoke on a 800 horse race car with no problems. I don't hesitate to run them on my truck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I should qualify this statement.

When I have heard or seen them fail, over ubot types, was when the diff was hitting a rock or other obstruction. I never looked at one, but would guess it would be from the bolt being knock off. When thinking about the ubolt model it would seem unlikely that it would break from the same type of treatment.

16. txfireman110

txfireman110 1/2 ton status

I have the 4" on mine and I did not lower my t-case because while it is not alot, that does reduce ground clearance which is what you are trying to improve. Instead, I had the shafts stretched and the CV on the front had to be ground to get the angle.

As for the straps on the u-joints, I drilled the threads out of the yoke and put bolts all the way through to hold the strap. Haven't had one pull out since then.

17. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've done the rock thing with my u-joint straps...chewed the edge of the strap and the bolt head a bit. Both got re-used when I got a new driveshaft in there and still haven't given me reason to worry about them.

There are so many bigger things to worry about.

As for dropping the T-case, mostly it's to help driveline angle. The answer is a CV rear shaft. I dropped my T-case 1/2" below the frame using spacers and haven't had any trouble. One day I might get me a CV shaft and raise it back up though.

Rene

18. cuervo

Okay, got all of it installed yesterday.

Does anyone know the part numbers for the longer brake hoses from Napa?

19. 88Silverado

Here U go.

NAPA front-38872 and rear-4138068

<snip from different post>
    They're the stock line for 88 and up 2WD GMs.All these #s were on the package from GM dealer--Wagner F116846---Bendix 77760---Rabestos BH38620---EIS SP8440. They are 24-25in long.

The only thing I needed to do was use a rotory file and slightly open the stock front mounting holes to make things fit. They work great. Theres pics of them installed on my 88 Silverado link /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. cuervo

Thanks, is the front part number the same for both sides? When you say mounting hole are talking about the hole where the clip holds the rubber part where the metal end meets it?

Thakns for the info!

[ QUOTE ]
    Here U go.

NAPA front-38872 and rear-4138068

<snip from different post>
    They're the stock line for 88 and up 2WD GMs.All these #s were on the package from GM dealer--Wagner F116846---Bendix 77760---Rabestos BH38620---EIS SP8440. They are 24-25in long.

The only thing I needed to do was use a rotory file and slightly open the stock front mounting holes to make things fit. They work great. Theres pics of them installed on my 88 Silverado link /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]