Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4L60E bad solenoids.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jagged, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

The 4L60E in my 95 T-10 Blazer has lost 1st and 4th gear, well, I just recently 'fixed' 2nd. Both shift solenoids A and B went kaput, and now I've only got Solenoid B working. I can get a master solenoid kit and replace the shift solenoids, and while I'm at it install a new wiring harness, lockup solenoid and PCM solenoids. Now the question is, would it be worth it to get a valve body rebuild kit (new springs, oversize check balls, etc)?

I'm not ready to rebuild the transmission yet, don't really have the money for that. My plan was to just turn up the line pressure on the boost solenoid and use some Lucas.

Anyone got some ideas on good places to get parts from, or something else I may want to look at. I'm only taking my pan off once more, so anything else you can think of in addition to replacing the solenoids I'd be grateful to hear.

On a side note, getting the tranny pan off a T-10 blazer sucks... Y pipe has to be disconnected and the crossmember has to come down :(

2. nm4x4

nm4x4 1/2 ton status

I have a friend with a 96 T10 blazer with the 4L60 E. Had the same problem, had to shift manually because it didn't have first gear. Everyone told him the solenoids were bad, so he took the pan off and ohms checked them. They checked good, so after lots of searching he found that GM had a problem with the ignition control module going bad and the same problem would result. He had a shop change my module for under $200 parts and labor and it fixed the problem. He has since put over 30,000 miles on the tranny with NO problems. Just be careful to not replace the solenoids if they are not bad, you might have misdiagnosed the problem. A key indication its the ignition module will be that your Drive selection light isn't lighting up, indicating which gear you are in.

3. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Did he run the codes on it? Before when neither solenoid A or B was working, the transmission was stuck in 3rd. I got codes for Solenoid A Circuit fail and Solenoid B Circuit fail.

I took the pan off, and cleaned the contacts, and got Solenoid B working again, but didn't have a multimeter to check the solenoids.

4. nm4x4

nm4x4 1/2 ton status

PM sent