Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4l60e shift kits?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by 87GMCJimmy, Aug 5, 2004.

1. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

I dropped a 99 5.7 vortec and 4l60e tranny into my 87 GMC Jimmy. Since I've had it running I never liked the way the tranny shifted. I'm running 35's and 4:10s. The shifts seems to be way longer then they should. I've searched around an most places recommend a trans-go shift kit. Anyone have any experience with these? How much did the shifting change?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I read a lot over at the ImpalaSS and Camaro boards and TransGo seems to be the best choice. You might want to check with whoever did your programming to your PCM and have them bump up the line pressures a bit. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I don't think electronically bumping line pressure does a whole lot. At least the B&M I have on my C2500 doesn't. At wide open it bypasses the upped line pressure and shifts like a wet noodle again.

4. 87GMCJimmy

I really want to use the kit and not reprogram b/c I am using a stock 96 computer. People charge stupid money for reprograming and if the computer ever takes a dump you have to have it reprogrammed also.

Thanks for the info.
    Mike

5. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Whats the cheapest reprogramming you have seen for the 5.7 Vortec?

6. 87GMCJimmy

The cheapest was $250. If you go with super chip and their programmer it's over $500 /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Mike

7. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Now I am even more happy I am going with an LT1. So many parts available cheap and programming is cheap. I am going with pcmforless, and the do-it-yourself programming (using my own laptop and cable) is $75.00 w/unlimited updates.